- "Destroy the Russian warship Kuvalda in the Siberian wilderness."
- — Level Description
Arctic Recon is a downloadable Special Ops Mission Mode challenge in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 as part of Content Pack 6. It was available for Call of Duty ELITE subscribers on the Xbox 360 on June 19, 2012. ELITE subscribers on the PlayStation 3 received it on July 19, 2012. It was available for PC players via the Steam service on September 13, 2012.
Baseplate gives the orders to plant beacons on a ship, Kuvalda, to guide missiles which will destroy the ship. Players control a Recon Drone that has a mounted MP5 and thermal vision that is used to designate places where beacons must be placed beforehand. After which, they are extracted via helicopter before the missiles blow up the ship.
These weapons can be found on the mat near the spawn point.
|Found in level|
These weapons can be found in the level with or without attachments.
Stay Frosty (15 / Bronze Trophy ) - Complete the "Arctic Recon" Special Ops mission on any difficulty
Sub Zero (25 / Silver Trophy ) - Complete the "Arctic Recon" Special Ops mission on Veteran difficulty
Dr0n3d (35 / Silver Trophy ) - Complete the "Arctic Recon" Special Ops mission in under 3:30
- The Recon Drone's crosshairs are that of the RPG-7 instead of its multiplayer standard.
- Baseplate mentions that the Kuvalda is a Slava-class Cruiser, a ship also seen in "Hunter Killer".
- There is a snowman outside the map to the left immediately as you start the mission. It can be viewable with the Barrett .50cal on the ground.
- The Recon Drone appears to have an MP5 attached to its undercarriage while MP7 fire sound will be heard when firing.
- Despite being unscoped, the M14 EBR in this mission has no aim assist or auto aim.
- The name 'Kuvalda' is Russian for 'Sledgehammer', likely a reference to Sledgehammer Games.
- A Sledgehammer model can be found at the very start at the docks which is also a reference to Sledgehammer Games.
- There seem to be cut sequences from that level in the code. A sequence called "forest intro" is cut which would likely take part in the forest near the spawn or on the small road next to the docks.
- By using noclip, players can go to the big bunker's balcony on the hillside. The surface is solid and walkable and it seems to be a cut area as well. Possibly used as an NPC spawn for additional enemy opposition.
- In that same bunker balcony, there is a functional DShK MG turret that can not be used in regular playthroughs.