- "In Blackout, Black Ops comes to life in one massive battle royale experience, combining Black Ops signature combat and the biggest map in Call of Duty history. Play as fan-favorite characters and battle through iconic settings from the Black Ops universe. It’s a collision course bringing together the worlds of Black Ops in an all-out survival and elimination experience featuring weapons; equipment; land, sea, and air vehicles; RC-XDs; traps; and even Zombies in an experience that is uniquely Black Ops."
- — Official Descritpion
Blackout is a new battle royale game mode featured in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4. It replaces the Campaign from the previous Call of Duty installments. The map includes other maps from the Black Ops series, and is the largest map to ever appear in a Call of Duty game.
A beta for Blackout took place between September 10th, 2018 and September 17th, 2018. Started first on PlayStation 4 and followed by the Xbox One and PC on September 14th. The beta was opened to all players on PC on September 15th.
80 players and A.I.-controlled zombies were announced as part of the beta, with the possibility of more players at launch or after launch.. On September 11th, the number of players were raised to 88. On September 16th, the Blightfather was introduced in the graveyard section of Blackout as an event. On September 17th, the beta was extended to 12PM PST (instead of 10AM PST) and the number of players was raised to 100. The Blightfather was removed from Blackout.
Four vehicles were confirmed, and were playable during the beta:
- Cargo Truck (1 pilot, 3 passengers (additional space included))
- ATV (1 pilot, 1 passenger)
- Zodiac boat (1 pilot, 3 passengers)
- MH-6 Little Bird helicopter (1 pilot, 3 passengers (five total seats))
In Solo, Duo and Quad modes, each game contains 88 as a standard, however one gamemode will contain 100 players as part of the weekly featured playlist. Players drop onto the map and start looting for equipment, battling enemies, and mobilizing to stay within the circle that limits the map's playable area.
Players can equip weapons, health kits, armor, ammo, attachments, and perk consumables. The areas of the map inspired by Zombies, such as the Asylum or Lighthouse, host AI enemies that drop Zombie loot like the Ray Gun or Cymbal Monkey.
On December 11th, 2018, Operation Absolute Zero was released, adding several new items to Blackout, such as a new location based off of the map Hijacked from Call of Duty: Black Ops II, new characters, the addition of the two new weapons, a new armored vehicle known as the ARAV, and the ability to repair armor with the use of Armor Plating.
On January 17th, 2019, Blackout became free to play through the Blackout Free Trial. It ends on January 24th, 2019.
Throughout the game, players can find special items that correlate to an unlockable character. Upon picking a special item up, the player will be given a Character Mission that will only apply to the game it is picked up in. After completing the requirements given by the challenge, the player will unlock the character associated with that item.
While most items can be found through Supply Stashes or Supply Drops, there are some items that can be found on the map or through other methods. An example of this is the Punching Mitts for Ruin, which can be found in four locations around the map. Another example is the Annihilator for Seraph, which can be found at the Firing Range, although the box that contains it will sometimes not appear.
Aside from the Character Missions, there are a few characters that require the player to level up in Blackout in order to obtain them. Characters such as Jason Hudson can be unlocked by reaching Tier 199 in the Black Market during Operation: First Strike, and the Shadowman and Experimental War Robot-115 "Reaper" can be unlocked upon purchasing the Black Ops Pass.
- Frank Woods (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Jason Hudson (Unlocked when Tier 199 is unlocked during Operation: First Strike)
- Alex Mason (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Viktor Reznov (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Raul Menendez (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Ranger (Unlocked at Echelon 20)
- Frogman (Unlocked at Echelon 40)
- Airborne (Unlocked at Echelon 60)
- SEAL (Unlocked at Echelon 80)
- Battle Hardened (Unlocked at Echelon 80 Prestige)
- "Vacation Hudson" (Unlocked through Reserve Crate)
- Shadowman (Unlocked through Black Ops Pass)
- Primis "Tank" Dempsey (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Primis Nikolai Belinski (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Primis Takeo Masaki (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Primis Edward Richtofen (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Ultimis "Tank" Dempsey (Unlocked at Tier 95 of Absolute Zero)
- Ultimis Nikolai Belinski (Unlocked at Tier 45 of Absolute Zero)
- Ultimis Edward Richtofen (Unlocked through "Richtofen" Special Order)
- Ultimis Takeo Masaki (Unlocked through Blackjack's Shop)
- Scarlett Rhodes (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Diego Necalli (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Stanton Shaw (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Bruno Delacroix (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- IX Scarlett Rhodes (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- IX Diego Necalli (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- IX Stanton Shaw (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- IX Bruno Delacroix (Unlocked through Character Mission)
- Cosmic Silverback (Unlocked through Black Ops Pass)
- Warden (Unlocked at Tier 45 of Operation Grand Heist)
- John Doe (Unlocked through Reserve Crate)
- Jane Doe (Unlocked through Reserve Crate)
- Abigail "Misty" Briarton (Unlocked through "Misty" Special Order)
- Kerk "Ajax" Rossouw
- Erin "Battery" Baker
- Jarrah "Crash" Bazley
- Krystof "Firebreak" Hejek
- Tavo "Nomad" Rojas
- David "Prophet" Wilkes
- Katsumi "Recon" Kimura
- Donnie "Ruin" Walsh
- He "Seraph" Zhen-Zhen
- Kieran "Torque" Mackay
- Leni "Zero" Vogel (Unlocked at Tier 1 of Absolute Zero)
- Experimental War Robot-115 "Reaper" (Unlocked through Black Ops Pass)
- Alessandra "Outrider" Castillo (Unlocked at Tier 1 of Grand Heist)
The map spans roughly 4x4 km (16 square kilometers).
An interactive version of the map is available here, with helicopter spawns, Mystery Box spawns and loot areas marked out.
When players win a game of Blackout in one of the three modes, Solo, Duo or Quad, an insignia will be shown. The insignia will change depending on the numbers of wins in each of the three modes.
- The map is set in California, as evident by the California State Route 1 sign being found on the main highway along the coast.
- As of December 18th, 2018 on PlayStation 4, the Multiplayer Specialist characters are automatically unlocked and playable, with anyone who completed the character missions previously gaining a Blackout themed weapon skin called "The Numbers".
- The achievement "Specialist Super-Fan" is now automatically unlocked due to this.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/1035572931756273669
- ↑ https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09/04/this-is-how-many-players-can-fight-for-supremacy-in-black-ops-4s-blackout-mode
- ↑ https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09/04/black-ops-4s-battle-royale-mode-has-zombies
- ↑ https://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar/status/1039564780762099712
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/Blackops4/comments/9gcfui/day_7_blightfather_event_blackout_beta_pro_tips/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/Blackops4/comments/9gm5ec/final_push_blackout_beta_extended_to_12pm_pst_100/
- ↑ https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09/04/here-are-the-vehicles-you-can-use-in-black-ops-4s-battle-royale
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/Blackops4/comments/9d8mjj/blackout_map_size_about_4_km2_or_16_km_large/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/1037379326847594496