|Previous level||Dead Ops Arcade 2: Cyber's Avengening (in-game)|
The Giant (chronologically)
|Next level||Zetsubou No Shima (timeline jump)|
|Game||Call of Duty: Black Ops III|
|Character||"Tank" Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski, Takeo Masaki, Edward Richtofen|
|Place||Griffin Castle, Werfen, Salzburg, Austria (annexed Germany)|
|Date||November 5th, 1945|
|Objective||Survive for as long as possible against limitless waves of the Undead|
Erase the one and purge Group 935
|Enemies||Zombies, Hellhounds, Panzersoldats, Electrified Zombies, Napalm Zombies, Skeletons, Giant Keeper|
|Multiplayer map||Infection, Infected, Der Schatten|
|Zombies map||Fractured portion in Revelations|
|Campaign level||Elements of Demon Within|
- "Bound together by a fragile alliance, our heroes pursue the scattered remnants of Group 935 to their mountain top fortress in the Austrian Alps..."
- — Mission Briefing
Der Eisendrache (German for The Iron Dragon) is a Zombies map that was released February 2, 2016 for the PlayStation 4, and March 3, 2016 for PC and Xbox One in the DLC map pack Awakening. It was released on April 5th, 2016 for PlayStation 3 and May 5th on Xbox 360. It is set in the Griffin Castle in Austria. The size of the map is 50% bigger than The Giant. Two Wonder Weapons are introduced, the Ragnarok DG-4 which is based on the Gravity Spikes from multiplayer, and the Wrath of the Ancients, which is based on the Sparrow.
A fractured portion of the map appears in Revelations.
- "Though still uncertain as to Richtofen's ultimate goals, Dempsey, Nikolai and Takeo fought alongside him to prevent the Dempsey Test Subject from reaching Group 935's research base on the Moon. The success of their mission revealed the dark truth of just what would be required of each of them - the "termination" of their other selves."
- — Biography
Der Eisendrache contains many elements from previous maps such as Origins, Mob of the Dead, Moon and Ascension. The Der Wunderfizz machines return from Origins, as well as the Panzersoldat, with a new look and slight weapon variations. He now has an electric trap like attack which shoots out and stuns players instead of his claw. A dragon can be found in three separate locations, which breathes fire and devours zombies one at a time, similar to Cerberus in Mob of the Dead. Feeding all the dragons eight zombies each will grant the players the main wonder weapon of the map, the Wrath of the Ancients.
A utility similar to the Gravity Lifts from Moon called the Wundersphere is introduced. They fling the player across the map for 500 points, but each sphere's respective landing pad must be manually activated. The Electro-Shock Defenses return from The Giant as well as two new traps, called the Death Ray and the Gate Trap, also make their debut. A build-able similar to the Gravity Spikes specialist weapon called the "Ragnarok DG-4", and a weapon called the "Wrath of the Ancients" are both introduced. The Wrath of the Ancients can be upgraded to four elemental variations, each one significantly more powerful than the original bow. The Rocket Shield also returns as a buildable from Shadows of Evil. Also returning from Shadows of Evil are the Keepers, who are present in various ways throughout the map. Dr. Groph is a character heard communicating to Richtofen throughout the rounds. Dr. Groph is not necessarily an enemy, but he is suspicious of Dr. Richtofen's plans, therefore stating that his job is to find out what Richtofen has in store or else he will do anything to make him not leave the castle. These messages can be heard through the loud speaker and radios around the map. The four Origins characters return once again, but this time their personalities are much more similar to their original selves from World at War, due to 115 exposure from The Giant.
Easter Eggs Edit
- The main Easter Egg for the map is My Brother's Keeper.
- A new song, Dead Again, can be activated by holding the interact button in front of three Teddy Bears scattered around the map. Locations are:
- In Samantha's bedroom, sitting on a chair.
- In the cell opposite of the cell with Juggernog, sitting on a crate.
- On the right of the rocket launch pad (looking from the blast doors), in the passenger seat of one of the trucks
- Another musical easter egg, a modified version of Samantha's Lullaby, can be activated by holding the use button on a music box in Samantha's bedroom. It is located on the table next to the bed.
- A third musical easter egg, an excerpt from Anton Reicha's Requiem, can be activated by holding the use button on three gramophones scattered around the map. Locations are:
- In Samantha's bedroom, on top of a shelf facing opposite the teddy bear.
- In the control room, sitting on a chair.
- In the pyramid room, facing the staircase leading to the crypt.
- A bunch of hidden radios and ciphers can be found around the map, similar to The Giant's radios and ciphers, see Der Eisendrache/Audio Reels.
- It is possible to turn the Control Room into a Disco. This can be done by shooting the Moon globe and then shooting the small rocket when it's beside it. The first shot will suspend the movement of the Moon globe, and the second will initiate Disco lights throughout the room along with a soundtrack of an 80's music track. After a minute or so, the music and lights will stop, but this Easter Egg can be repeated an unlimited number of times.
- It should be noted that the Disco lights and music can only be seen and heard by players actually inside of the globe room.
- Zombies can be changed into Skeletons. This can be done by shooting three skulls located around the map with the Wrath of the Ancients. One is by the ledge, outside, near Double Tap; one is at the ledge to the right of Mule Kick and one is at the Upper Courtyard next to the windows, at the Control Room, on the left-hand side looking towards it. The skulls fly up and down and can only be seen and hit with the GobbleGum "In Plain Sight". They can be hit with the bow's splash damage by shooting the walls or ground around them. Whenever a skull is hit, it disappears in black smoke with a sound effect, and appears on a chair in the Control Room, by the fireplace. When all of the skulls are hit, every newly-spawned zombie is a skeleton instead. This can be disabled by interacting with the skulls on the chair.
- There is a secret melee weapon, the Plunger. To obtain it, the player must first obtain the Ragnarok DG-4. Once obtained, head to the clock tower (where the player binds the Fire Bow) and break the wall, to reveal the cogs. Place the DG-4 in trap mode. This will power up the clock. After that, interact with the console next to the exit of the tower. The player will see a lever being pulled, and this will activate the clock. The player can interact with the console any time to stop or start the clock. The player must stop the clock when it reaches 9:35. If done correctly the player will hear thunder, which indicates success of the step. If the step is failed, simply restart the clock and wait for the time again. Head downstairs to the pyramid room. A new light orb will be floating above the pyramid. Wait until anti-gravity kicks in and run around outside in the golden frames. If done correctly the player will teleport to the teleporter room. Next to the teleporter, on the table there will be a plunger. Interacting with it will pick it up, giving everyone on the map the Plunger as the new melee weapon. This melee weapon will do the same damage as a regular melee weapon. However, when the player kills a Panzersoldat, for the next minute, the player will have a flaming plunger, killing any Panzersoldat in one hit. Note that only the player who killed the Panzersoldat will have this effect.
- Ciphers and scraps of paper can be found scattered around the map, see: Der Eisendrache/Ciphers and Scrap Paper
|My Brother's Keeper||In Der Eisendrache, the one must be erased.||75||Silver|
|Der Meisterbogenschuetze||In Der Eisendrache, obtain all of the ancient bows.||40||Silver|
|None Left Standing||In Der Eisendrache, kill every type of zombie using a minigun.||20||Bronze|
|Take a Bow||In Der Eisendrache, upgrade the Wrath of the Ancients.||20||Silver|
|Not Big Enough||In Der Eisendrache, trap and kill a Panzersoldat with the Ragnarok DG-4.||20||Bronze|
|Time to Slam||In Der Eisendrache, revive two players protected by the Ragnarok DG-4.||15||Bronze|
|Quick Off Your Feet||In Der Eisendrache, wall buy the BRM.||5||Bronze|
|That's a lot of Jigawatts!||In Der Eisendrache, electrocute 121 zombies.||5||Bronze|
|Fling Me to the Moon||In Der Eisendrache, use every Wundersphere twice.||5||Bronze|
|Death From Above||In Der Eisendrache, kill a zombie while being flung by a Wundersphere.||5||Bronze|
Opening Scene Transcript Edit
|Opening Scene Transcript|
A truck is seen driving on an icy road in the middle of the night. Inside the truck are German soldiers seen protecting Ultimis "Tank" Dempsey, who is locked within a container.
German Soldier: Los, los, los, los! (Go, go, go, go!)
Out of nowhere, a Riese chases after the truck.
German Soldier: Vorsicht! Schützt unsere Flanke! (Watch out! Protect our flank!)
The soldiers open fire on the robot, but it blocks the attack with its hand. A soldier then pulls out a Panzerschreck.
German Soldier: Kampf mit den Feinden! (Fight the enemies!)
The soldier with the Panzerschreck shoots at the robot, knocking its right arm off. The robot then falls down to the ground, as the truck drives away. Primis crawls out of the destroyed robot.
Dempsey (narrating): This wasn't how it was supposed to go. We were supposed to secure the package, and be in and out clean.
The four continue on foot and reach the gondola to Griffin Castle. Under the station, the truck can be seen burning. They ride the gondola to the castle, only to find zombies at the top.
Dempsey (narrating): Instead, the whole thing's been one disaster after another.
Richtofen flicks the safety off on his MR6. Takeo then swings his sword at a zombie, slicing it in half.
Takeo: Eat my blade, beast!
Dempsey shoots the zombies down with his Dingo.
Dempsey: Ka-fucking-boom, maggot addicts!
Nikolai wrestles a zombie to the ground, then shoves his KRM-262 into its mouth.
Nikolai: Today, you die!
He pulls the trigger, blowing the zombie's head up. Richtofen also shoots several zombies with his MR6. In the background, Doctor Ludvig Maxis' voice can be heard counting down.
Richtofen: First I took your legs, now I take your life!
At that moment, a rocket can be seen taking off, as Maxis' voice counts to one. The four look to the sky.
Dempsey: I should never have trusted you, Richtofen. Never.
Ending Scene Transcript Edit
|Ending Scene Transcript|
Primis walks up to the capsule containing Ultimis Dempsey.
Richtofen: He's still alive.
Dempsey: I fucking hope so.
Richtofen turns around and pulls out the Summoning Key, forcing the others to levitate in the air.
Richtofen: This subject will one day wreak havoc across the entire universe. He cannot be allowed to live.
Dempsey: This wasn't how it was supposed to go! We were supposed to secure the package, and be in and out clean!
Richtofen begins to walk towards the capsule.
Dempsey: Instead, the whole thing's been one disaster after another. I should've never trusted you, Richtofen! Never!
Richtofen: You should trust me Dempsey. You all should. This artifact has the power to contain and preserve the subject's soul. YOUR soul. But it can only be done after the moment of death, just as you saw me do to my other self.
Richtofen looks back towards Dempsey.
Richtofen: It is the only way...
Richtofen is about to shut down the life support to the subject when...
Dempsey: Wait! If someone's got to take him out to save the universe, then it should be me that does it!
Richtofen pauses for a moment, then presses the Summoning Key, letting Dempsey and the others down. Dempsey then walks over to the capsule, looking at his older self and putting his hand on the glass and looks around.
Dempsey: Good to see ya, Tank.
Dempsey looks up to the sky before shutting down the life support, killing his Ultimis self. Dempsey shows sorrow and regret as Richtofen comes over and puts his hand on Dempsey's back to show compassion and sorrow for his loss. Dempsey then steps back as Richtofen activates the Summoning Key over the capsule as it hovers above it, capturing and preserving Ultimis Dempsey's soul and dropping into Richtofen's hand. Richtofen looks up into the sky as the scene ends.
Audio Reel Messages Edit
- Main article: Der Eisendrache/Audio Reels
- Main article: Der Eisendrache/Quotes
- Originally, the map's name was announced as Der Eisendrachen, which actually translates to "The Iron Kite". This was promptly corrected by Treyarch and information thereafter regarded the map as its current name.
- Several posters in the Gondola Station still retain "Der Eisendrachen" on them.
- Griffin Castle is based on the real Hohenwerfen Castle and has the same coordinates.
- In a room seen through one of the zombie barriers in the map, an MG42 can be seen.
- The KRM-262 can be seen in the Mystery Box, although it cannot be obtained from it.
- Richtofen and Dr. Groph will communicate at certain times during the game. Dr. Groph communicates through radio transmission, and Richtofen talks regularly from the battlefield. If there is no player playing as Richtofen, he will also use the radio to talk to Groph.
- A dynamic theme exclusive to Season Pass holders for PlayStation 4 was released on January 5th, 2016 that is based on Der Eisendrache.
- All characters received a visual update to their appearance in this map, looking more beat-up than in comparison to their appearance in The Giant (for example, Dempsey has more cuts and bruises, while Richtofen has a small cut under his right eye).
- The official full biography for the map states it takes place in Germany, despite the in-game description and loading screen info stating it takes place in Austria.
- In the intro cinematic, the Giant Robot the characters are piloting has its left arm blown off by a rocket, and its visor broken as the team leave it. However, when the match starts proper, the Robot is shown slumped against a mountain, with both its visor and arms fully intact. This is best seen from the room that Mule Kick is in.
- When playing this map on PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, the zombies are faster and more aggressive.
- Two copies of the Kronorium can be spotted in the map. One can be seen in the Trophy Room while the other can be seen near the MPD.