|The subject matter of this article was cut from the final version of a Call of Duty game.|
"Designated Training" was a planned campaign mission in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. All that proves its existence is a file in the mod tools, in the raw/English/localizedstrings folder, a file called "rallypoint.str" can be found. The string file includes information about the level, such as its location, the level name, the date, and various objectives.
From the level's planned string file, the mission would take place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The player would most likely control PFC Michael Carver of the U.S. Marines. The mission would take place late in the game, as the date is "Day 5 - 1746 hrs".
Objectives include the following:
- Destroy all anti-air units in the area.
- Clear the way to the construction site.
- Take up a sniping position in the construction building.
- Protect Bravo Squad as they destroy the anti-air unit.
- Clear the rooftops and enter a sniping position in the top floor of the garage.
- Protect Bravo Squad as they destroy the second anti-air unit.
- Clear the garage area.
- Plant an explosive charge on the final anti-air unit.
- Secure the overpass area.
- Defend the overpass area until reinforcements arrive.
Lines said by the player's allies include:
- Over here, Private!
- Follow me.
Interestingly, what the enemy says is subtitled.
- Foreign Gibberish (Alert)
Designated Training vs. Training Edit
Though Designated Training uses a name similar to Training (another canceled Call of Duty 4 mission), it can be easy for one to confuse the two or think they are the same. They are, however, completely different - Designated Training takes place on day five of the war, while Training most likely takes place on day one or earlier. Why Infinity Ward chose the name Designated Training is unknown.