Hacker is an equipment featured on the Zombies map Moon. It takes up the equipment slot; therefore, a player cannot equip it and the P.E.S. at the same time. Normally, only one player can carry the Hacker Device. The Device has many uses, and is required for the Richtofen's Grand Scheme and the Big Bang Theory easter eggs.
The Hacker can be found in any of six locations, sitting on top of a yellow card:
- On the bookshelf to the left of the entrance from the room with the Power Switch
- On the bookshelf to the left of the bottom of the stairs leading to the second floor
- On the small box to the right of the top of the staircase leading to the second floor, next to the Wehrmacht flag
- On the blue rebar running under the blueprint to the right of the bottom of the third staircase leading to the wallbuy and Deadshot Daiquiri
- On a green tank next to Deadshot Daiquiri
- Next to a canister of 115 to the right of the wallbuy near the door to the Biodome
If a player obtains another P.E.S., it will move to another random desk. The Hacker may be used on various utilities around the map with different outcomes.
After the player has held on to the Hacker for several rounds, the player will start to receive 500 points at the end of a round and the amount will continue to increase by 500 every round afterwards; this includes teleporting from Area 51 back to Moon. The amount earned caps at 2500 points. If Hacker is traded out for a P.E.S., then the player will not receive points anymore upon picking it back up. It must be held onto for several rounds again before points can be earned.
Traversing areas without any oxygen while having the Hacker can be hazardous because of the limited time the player has before they are downed. Therefore it is best to remain within areas with oxygen such as the the Bio-Dome (if it is not breached by the excavator), and only venture outside when it is a necessity.
- Pack-a-Punch Machine - Raises three gates around the Pack-a-Punch for a limited time. No zombies or players may go in or out until the timer is up (unless teleported by a Gersh Device or QED). Hacking it grants 1000 bonus points, but only once per game, and it is not affected by Double Points.
- Excavator Controls - When an excavator is breaching the moon base, players can hack the terminals in the spawn room, thus halting the attack. The player will also receive 1000 points each time they hacks an excavator, whether or not it was stopped before or after it breached. This point bonus is not effected by Double Points. The players will get the achievement Ground Control if all three excavators are stopped before they breach the base.
- Doors - For 200 points, the player can hack open any door, although the hacking process is extremely slow (32.7 seconds). The player will lose points only when the hacking process is completed.
- Windows - Hacking a window automatically repairs it. Doing so grants the player 100 points, regardless of how many boards are missing. This can be done twice to earn the 100 point bonus, after which it will cause the player to lose points instead, starting with 300 points and increases the more it is still done.
- Tip: Fix as many barriers as possible before the window is completely bordered, then hack the window to maximize points.
- Players - Hacking a player transfers 500 points from the hacking player to the player being hacked. When doing this while a Double Points is active, the hacked player will receive 1000 points rather than 500 and the hacking player only gives 500.
- Mystery Box - There are two main uses for the Hacker revolving the Mystery Box:
- After using the Mystery Box, using the Hacker on it will re-roll the box for an additional 600 points for a new weapon. Hacking the re-rolled weapon turns it into a Weapon Power-Up for anyone to take. Doing so returns 950 points back to the hacking player, effectively making the hacking player only spend 600 on the box. The 600 points are rewarded even during a Fire Sale
- Hacking a box spawn location activates the Mystery Box in that location for a single roll for 1200 points. The same re-roll effects stated above still can be used when doing this. Doing this causes blocks the box from moving to that location for some time. If done on all box locations except for one, the box's current location will not move for a very long time. Utilizing this method when picking up a Fire Sale does not cause the box to spawn at the other locations, which in turn can hinder the player or players' attempts to get weapons during a Fire Sale.
- Wall Guns - Hacking any wall weapon at the price of 3000 points, with the exception of Grenades, swaps the cost the Regular ammo and the cost of the Pack-a-Punched ammo, which is 4500. This allows the player to buy Pack-a-Punched ammo in a cheaper price, but increases the cost of Regular Ammo to 4500. When swapping the ammo costs, the wall weapon will be flipped upside down when purchasing the weapon (yet the chalk drawing remains the same).
- Perk-a-Cola Machines - Hacking an already acquired perk removes the perk and returns points equal to the perk's cost (not affected by Double Points). This effect becomes disabled once Big Bang Theory has been completed, since it awards the players all the perks.
- When doing this in Solo on Quick Revive, it will decrease the number of uses of Quick Revive. Quick Revive cannot be returned when all 3 uses of the perk has been used.
- Hacking Mule Kick removes the player's third weapon.
- If the player has acquired more than four perks, utilizing this method will still reward the points back, however they can not get the perk back due to the four perk slot limit.
- Buttons and levers - The Hacker can be used on any of the red buttons or green levers in the laboratory, which is part of Richtofen's Grand Scheme and the Big Bang Theory easter eggs.
- Power-Ups - Players can hack Power-Ups, for the cost 5000 points (the most expensive thing to hack):
One Small Hack for a Man... (5/Bronze ) - In Moon, hack something.
Perks in Spaaaaace (30/Bronze ) - In Moon, purchase every Perk in one game. (Hacker recommended)
Ground Control (10/Bronze ) - In Moon, prevent each excavator from breaching the base in one game.
Cryogenic Slumber Party (75/Silver) - In Moon, complete Richtofen's Grand Scheme.
Big Bang Theory - (100) - In Moon, gain sweet, sweet, revenge.
- Speed Cola decreases the time needed to hack items.
- Whilst utilizing the Hacker as Dempsey in first person, a short black sleeve can be seen on his right arm.
- The voice commands triggered by the Hacker can be heard by other players wearing the P.E.S..
- In Black Ops, it is possible for two players at a time to hold the Hacker. If both players stand by the Hacker and try to pick it up at exactly the same time, both players will receive one.