- "Are those meteors? I don't think those are meteors. "
- — Jessica Rose when an Insanity Elemental round starts.
Insanity Elementals (also referred to as Meatballs) are an enemy in Call of Duty: Black Ops III on the Zombies maps Shadows of Evil and Dead Ops Arcade 2: Cyber's Avengening, as well as appearing throughout the Nightmares mode. They hunt down players, and when contact is made they explode, injuring the player, similar to R.A.P.S. in multiplayer mode. They are made of twisted flesh with multiple glowing mouths, screaming as they roll. Insanity Elementals spawn into the map by falling from the sky as glowing orbs. In the official zombies manual coming with the special editions to Black ops 3, they are described as clouds of flame that descend from the sky.
In Shadows of Evil, they appear as a special round after the second Parasites round, similar to the Hellhound rounds, including the Max Ammo power-up being dropped once the last one is killed. They can also appear occasionally in a normal zombies round.
Insanity Elementals also appear prominently in the Easter Egg during the "capture the flag" objective, where they will continue to spawn until the flag has been charged and taken to the ritual site, forcing the player to protect the flag from being destroyed by them and the Shadow Man.
The Nightmares versions act the same as the ones in Shadows of Evil. They will also appear if a player uses a Mounted Turret for too long and it will instantly kill the player if not destroyed; they will continue to chase the targeted player even after dismounting the turret.
The Dead Ops Arcade 2: Cyber's Avengening versions act mostly the same, but now when one is damaged enough it will explode into several smaller ones.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Each Insanity Elemental targets a specific player instead of the nearest one.
- Before an Insanity Elemental drops into the map, there is a red mist located in the location it is about to drop in. Shooting the mist will kill the Insanity Elemental before it spawns.
- Within Dead ops Arcade 2: Cyber's Avengeing, the challenge round that contains Insanity Elementals is called "Meatball Soup", in reference to the Insanity Elementals appearing like meatballs, and the lake of blood appearing as a soup. Similarly, in Dead Ops Arcade 3: Rise of the Mamaback, the challenge round that contains Insanity Elementals is known as "Spaghetti and ...", again in reference to Meatballs.