- "Head to Zurich headquarters of Coalescence in order to prevent the further spread of the DNI infection..."
- — Mission Briefing
"Life" is the eleventh and final level in Call of Duty: Black Ops III. The mission sees The Player with Rachel Kane and Zurich Security Forces attempt to stop Jacob Hendricks from confronting the sole survivor of the Singapore Coalescence disaster - Sebastian Krueger and spreading the Direct Neural Interface virus with Corvus.
- John Taylor (playable at D.N.I. purging sequence, W.I.A.)
- The Player (playable, K.I.A. in both New World and Life)
- Corvus (dream-state, Deleted)
- Jacob Hendricks (K.I.A.)
- Sebastian Krueger (K.I.A.)
- Rachel Kane (K.I.A.)
- Sarah Hall (voice only, K.I.A. in Demon Within)
- Yousef Salim (heard and mentioned only, K.I.A. in Demon Within)
- Sebastian Diaz (voice only, K.I.A. in Hypocenter)
- Peter Maretti (voice only, K.I.A. in Sand Castle)
- Lev Kravchenko (Easter egg only, K.I.A. in Old Wounds)
- Nikita Dragovich (Easter egg only, K.I.A. in Redemption)
- Friedrich Steiner (Easter egg only, K.I.A. in Rebirth)
- Viktor Reznov (Easter egg only, K.I.A. in Vorkuta)
Encryption #70-20-6e-6f-77-21. Protocol: Lima
Encryption Error! Life . Encryption Error!
$gffgm nkoyo slx.vpoy#%pfl Zurich &#fdfd$
Active Mission - Day Unknown
Pre-Mission Scrolling Texts
Throughout the pre-mission report, one can find strings made out of protocols from the NATO phonetic alphabet.
("Let me go! You must let me go!")
("I see it now. I see the Frozen Forest.")
There is also an "Ascension" cipher in the report that appears in Call of Duty: Black Ops's intro:
The Ascension cipher is a One-Time-Pad used with text from the book "Profiles in Courage" by John F. Kennedy.
Once decoded with the key "SENATORSANDSOI", the message "(P)Location Texas" is revealed.
As Hendricks causes mayhem in Zürich through his control of the local robots, The Player and Kane power through several waves of his machines, before reaching the entrance of the Coalescence Corporation, which is now a warzone between hundreds of robots and the struggling ZSF forces supporting them.
After gaining access to the facility, the two enter a decontamination chamber before reaching a lab containing a toxic compound revealed to be Nova 6. Kane orders the Player to find out the state of the containment room, with matters worsening upon the realization that the facility is already almost critical. Upon hearing this, Kane sacrifices herself in order to stop the leaking compounds but is ultimately killed by Corvus, who intentionally falsified the readings on the toxicity levels.
In a room over, Hendricks is discovered interrogating Sebastian Kruger about the Frozen Forest. Driven mad by the same obsession of Taylor's team, Hendricks kills Krueger in a fit of rage, leading the Player to execute him in turn.
After realizing that they are the only host left for Corvus, the Player commits suicide, but is instead sent into the Frozen Forest. A highly disillusioned Hendricks attempts to persuade the Player to stay (accompanied by a human-like personification of Corvus), only to be rejected. In return, Corvus summons hordes of projected enemies to attack the Player, recreating previous events and battlefields to taunt them.
Kreuger is eventually encountered, being interrogated by Corvus itself. The system kills Kreuger after learning of its true nature, sending the Player into further chaos. Shortly after, the Player is reunited with Taylor, the only other person who resisted Corvus' influence. The two fight through multiple scenarios constructed from the Player's memory, ending in a jump back to reality where the Player finally initiates a manual purge on their DNI, completely eradicating Corvus.
As the Player stumbles out of the building, ZSF forces arrive and ask them to identify themselves, only to the response of "Taylor".
- Untouched: Complete this mission without dying.
- Score: Complete this mission with a score of 30,000 or higher.
- Got 'em: Find all of the collectibles in the mission.
- Got 'Em All: Destroy all depth charges before they self-detonate.
- Hand Cannon: Take down a P.A.W.W.S. using only a pistol.
- I now know why you cry: Kill ten robots using mounted turrets.
- Robo-Slappers: Kill five robots in under ten seconds using only melee attacks.
- Explosive entertainment: Kill a group of three or more enemies in one shot with an explosive weapon.
- Not a Fan of RAPs: Kill all of the R.A.P.S. in the mission before they do damage to any friendlies.
- Two For One: Kill two enemies with one bullet.
- Quickslap: Melee kill five non-robotic enemies in under ten seconds.
- Explosive Containment: Destroy 35 explosive containers.
- Perfect Timing: Kill 20 non-robotic enemies with grenades.
- Dodge This: Kill a P.A.W.W.S. without it damaging you.
- Bots Go Boom: Kill 20 robots with a grenade launcher.
- Clip Their Wings: Kill three non-robotic enemies in under five seconds.
|Field Ops Kit|
|Found in Level|
- The song "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane is heard in the D.N.I. purging sequence at the end.
- Kane refers to the events of "Project Nova" and "Redemption" from Call of Duty: Black Ops when finding the Nova Six cache.
- The accolade "I now know why you cry" is a reference to the 1991 action film Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
- Enhanced Protocol Override and Enhanced Remote Hijack does not work due to Corvus and Jacob Hendricks (controlled by Corvus) controlling all of these robots out there.
- Though the Zürich Security Forces is a friendly faction technically, their soildiers become hostile in flashbacks just like 54 Immortals and NRC.
- Another Side of the Story (20 /Silver Trophy ) - Complete the campaign on any difficulty.
- Full Circle (50 /Silver Trophy ) - Complete the campaign on Hardened, Veteran, or Realistic difficulty.
- No One Will Believe You (50 /Silver Trophy ) - Complete the campaign on Realistic difficulty.
- Main article: Yousef_Salim#Salim.27s_Research
- Main article: Life/Transcript