Mined Games is a Zombies-related gameplay achievement/trophy featured in Buried for Call of Duty: Black Ops II. This achievement/trophy requires the player to "be their pawn". Edward Richtofen's side involves completing a guillotine, and Ludvig Maxis' involves completing the gallows on the map.
In order to complete this Easter egg, the difficulty must be set to original. If not, all Easter egg related items will not spawn. Four players are also required for each side's full completion, although steps 1-5 (Richtofen) and steps 1-6 (Maxis) can be done solo.
At the beginning of the game, the players can hear Maxis talking about how to power up a tower seen from the starting room using an explosive found underground. Richtofen also talks to Samuel J. Stuhlinger about powering the tower as well, using an energy conduit that he says must be built, and warns Samuel not to let the tower be used to help Maxis.
This Easter Egg can be completed multiple times, however there are limitations. Once one side has been completed, it will be locked in all subsequent playthroughs until the other side has been completed as well, which will in turn lock that side until the originally completed side has been redone, just like with Tower of Babble on TranZit, and High Maintenance on Die Rise. Alternatively, the Endgame present on Buried also will reset all Easter Egg progress across all three maps, allowing players to redo them freely. In addition, joining a game in progress will allow the player to redo the Easter Egg so long as no one present in the game when it started has the desired side locked for the previously stated reasons.
The canon ending is confirmed to be Maxis' side of the quest in the official Zombies Timeline.
- 1 Richtofen's Path
- 2 Maxis' Path
- 3 Endgame
- 4 Richtofen's Ending
- 5 Maxis' Ending (Canon)
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
Richtofen's Path[edit | edit source]
Step 1: Building the Guillotine[edit | edit source]
The player must build the guillotine that is parallel from the side of the saloon. Be careful because some parts can be used for both the gallows and the guillotine, because of this, this step is also the point where the players commit to which side they are completing for the current game.
- Satellite Dish (Upstairs of Saloon, nearest side by the Guillotine buildable. Should be near the fence.)
- Spool of Wire (Gunsmith room downstairs near the catacombs entrance in the corner.)
- Crystal (Go up the railing from the Saloon into the catacombs, turn left, take the next left, jump over the hole and it will be in the debris directly ahead.)
- Antennae (The barn downstairs, head towards the catacombs should be in one of the stables on the right.)
Step 2: Powering the Red Orbs[edit | edit source]
The player now needs to power up four red orbs using the Paralyzer. They are located as follows:
- In the alleyway between the saloon and the candy shop.
- To the left side of the entrance to the church, behind a rock.
- In the tunnel system above the town.
- To the right side in the foliage before the entrance to the mansion from the maze.
Step 3: The Lantern[edit | edit source]
Using a grenade, the player needs to time it so that it knocks a purple lantern out of the air, which will float from the courtroom to the church, or from the courtroom to the jail cell. After this, the player must pick it up.
To power up the lantern, the player must "kill" at least 10 mistresses in the haunted mansion. After the player has powered the lantern with enough "souls", the player has to place the lantern on a symbol on the roof of the gunsmith shop.
Step 4: Deciphering the code[edit | edit source]
Deciphering the code that appears above the symbol on the wall using the "tic-tac-toe" cipher will reveal the name of three signs located in the tunnels, which the players need to hit with the Galvaknuckles or the Bowie Knife to make the "wisp" appear. The order doesn't matter. These signs are randomly selected out of the five signs available.
The Five Tunnel Signs
The player will find the following signs in the tunnels. Each is 17 characters long if the player counts the spaces as a character. The players need only decode the first letter of each sign as all five are different.
The Signs: DRY GULCHER SHAFT
GROUND BITER PITS
BONE ORCHARD VEIN
Step 5: Powering the Guillotine via Wisp[edit | edit source]
Note: The player must have Vulture Aid in order to see the wisp.
To move the wisp, a player has to pass through it in a 15 seconds limit, or else they will fade away and the player will need to hit the signs again. Only players with the Vulture Aid Perk can see it. Once the player taps the button, they will disappear and reappear somewhere else, with the player able to see it through the wall via Vulture Aid. It appears in front of the final sign, then on the second level of the barn, then to the second floor of the jail cell building, just past the wall weapon location, then to the second floor of the general store, then to the candy store and then it goes to the guillotine, where it will stay in front of the guillotine. The player must lure zombies nearby the guillotine. Doing so will cause the orb to flow into the zombie, which the player must kill for its energy. After killing each zombie, an orb will revolve around the crystal component of the guillotine. After powering up the guillotine, Richtofen tells the player that they need a time bomb.
Step 6: The Switch in the Future[edit | edit source]
Up until this point, one person can do the previous steps solo and then have three others join in. However, there MUST be four players to do this step. Once the player has placed a Time Bomb ON the guillotine bench, have all four players surrounding the guillotine. The player now has to activate the time bomb. Doing so will send the player into the future to Round ∞, where the game is now in black and white and the zombies are near-invulnerable. During the 90 seconds that the player spends in "Infinity Mode" before it sends the player back, the player will have to find the switch. Search the four (sometimes only two or three spawn) dead bodies of Misty, Marlton, Samuel, and Russman. The switch will be randomly placed on one of the bodies, with bodies being spawned randomly at these places:
- Directly in front of the guillotine.
- In front of the saloon entrance stairs.
- To the left of the gunsmith entrance.
- In the crevice behind the barn and the gunsmith house, where the Navcard Table parts are located.
- In front of the jail house entrance.
- In between the general store and the box location.
- To the right of the candy store entrance coming from the courthouse, near when the player drops down from the general store balcony.
- In between the huge rock near the gallows and the awning of the candy store, near the arrow sign.
- Behind the rock to the left of the church, where the red orb is.
- Just past the entrance to the church, nearby the workbench.
- The alleyway between the bank and barn walls, the body will be laying on the wall of the bank.
After gaining the switch the player must now place it on the guillotine.
Note: Should the players fail to find the switch, they will need a new Time Bomb. One way to do this is to have the player with the Time Bomb hit the box until they obtain the Monkey Bomb and then have all players hit the box until someone obtains the Time Bomb again. Alternatively, the players will need a Max Ammo. For this, Arthur can be useful as players can use him to effectively buy random power-ups for 2100 points by paying 1000 points to buy the Candy if the current one has already been used for the round, and then 1100 points to create a 1000 point Bonus Points power-up at the Bank. Simply feed Arthur the candy near the power-up and he will change it. While both these methods can be expensive if the players are unlucky, the alternative is to run rounds until a zombie drops a Max Ammo, which can get them killed. While in Round Infinity, Arthur can be fed candy which will kill zombies. Monkey Bombs also work as well. All ammo and equipment used during Round Infinity will be fully refunded upon returning.
Step 7: Switches in the Maze[edit | edit source]
The players now need to enter the maze, where there will be switches with four different colors (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow) on four different gates. All players will have to activate these switches in the correct order, via trial and error. If a switch has been activated in the correct order, it will spark after all four have been pulled.
Note that no switches will spark until all of the switches have been activated. They will only spark if they were activated in the correct position. If the switches are activated in the incorrect order (if they aren't all sparking) they can be reset by activating all of them and then having all four players return to the main area before having all players run through the Mistress's house together.
Note: Sometimes a gate switch will not spawn (Yellow, is the most reported switch to not spawn). Currently the only way to fix this is to reset the switches in the method detailed above.The yellow switch can actually sometimes be found on a hedge in the center of the maze.
Note: In occasion yellow is not spawning on the gates, it can be found somewhere hidden in the bushes in the area where the fountain/teleport is.
Note: If the players go into the candy shop, behind the counter, there will be 4 jars. They each have a color in them which represents the color of the switches. Reading them from left to right, while a good starting point, may or may not give the player the correct color order. Trial and error will be the best bet for everyone on the team. Remember to mark which possibilities have already been tried by the team.
Step 8: Make a Wish[edit | edit source]
The players will need to have Arthur break the fountain in front of the church/mansion, which will cause water to start spewing out. Next the player will need to interact with the fountain in order to "make a wish". After doing so, metal targets will spawn via lightning in several locations with each player needing to shoot them ALL before they disappear. These locations where the targets spawn are:
- Beside the candy store and in front of the court room. (20 targets)
- The left side of the mansion, in the windows. (23 targets)
- Inside the saloon. (19 targets)
- By the jail cell. (22 targets)
Richtofen's side of Mined Games is complete and the player(s) will receive all perks for the remaining of the game, but there is one more step to fully complete the story [See Endgame]
Note: the Paralyzer DOES work on the targets, and is a useful tool in hitting them all.
Note: It is also recommended that Arthur be given Candy near a crawler so that the players need not worry about the round ending in the middle of trying for the challenge.
Maxis' Path[edit | edit source]
Step 1: Build the Gallows[edit | edit source]
The players must build the gallows that is next to the entrance of the courthouse. Be careful because some parts can be used for both the gallows and the guillotine. Just as with Richtofen's path, this is where the player chooses which side they are following for the current playthrough.
- Battery (Behind the altar in the church.)
- Spool of Wire (Mule Kick room downstairs near the catacombs entrance in the corner.)
- Antennae (Barn downstairs towards the catacombs in one of the stables on the right.)
- Bulbs (In the room above Arthur's cell on boxes near where the box can spawn.)
Step 2: Orb Breaker[edit | edit source]
- In the alleyway between the saloon and the candy shop.
- To the left side of the entrance to the church, behind a rock.
- In the tunnel system above the town building.
- To the left side in the foliage before the entrance to the mansion from the maze.
Step 3: The Lantern[edit | edit source]
Using a grenade, the players need to time it so that it knocks a purple lantern out of the air, which will float from the courtroom to the church, or from the courtroom to the jail cell. It will disappear ocassionally if the players fail to hit it, and it will also disappear if the players leave the lantern on the ground too long. After this, a player must pick it up.
Step 4: Sugar Rush[edit | edit source]
To power up the lantern, the players must kill zombies using Arthur (after he has been given candy), the Trample Steam, Subsurface Resonator, Head Chopper, or Nuke Power-Up. The player with the lantern must stand close to the zombies being killed. After the players have powered the lantern with enough "souls", the players have to place the lantern on a symbol on the roof of the gunsmith shop.
Step 5: Decryption[edit | edit source]
Deciphering the code that appears above the symbol on the wall using the "tic-tac-toe" cipher will reveal the name of three signs, which the players need to hit in order with the Galvaknuckles or the Bowie Knife to make the "wisp" appear. These signs are randomly selected out of the five signs available.
The Five Tunnel Signs
The players will find the following signs in the tunnels. Each is 17 characters long if the player counts the spaces as a character, however, the player needs only to decode the first letter of each sign as they are all different.
DRY GULCHER SHAFT
GROUND BITER PITS
BONE ORCHARD VEIN
Step 6: Energy and Western Time Travel[edit | edit source]
Note: The players will have to place a Time Bomb before they activate the wisp. The step requires the players to open the 1250 points couch separating the tunnels and the upper level of the gunsmith building, and they will need to have Arthur destroy the barrier between the General Store and the candy Shop. The player that hits the signs will need to follow the wisp while there are zombies near it throughout its path, thereby sustaining the wisp, otherwise the wisp will fade out.
After doing so, the player must follow the wisp on its path to the gallows. It will travel through the tunnels into the courtroom. It then goes past the Speed Cola Perk-a-Cola machine towards the jail cell. Going on the porch, it will make a loop and go to the upper level of the jail cell, towards the barn. Upon entering the barn, it will drop down the ledge and float through the tunnels. It then will exit through the gunsmith building's upper level, then will float towards the Saloon and take a left towards the candy shop. Passing through where the barrier was, it will continue towards the courthouse until it reaches the gallows, in which it will power up one container. While the player is following the wisp, the player must have zombies near the wisp throughout its path, thereby sustaining the wisp, otherwise the wisp will fade out. It is easier to do this step by having zombie "checkpoints", recommended spots are in front of the jail cell, in front of the gunsmith building, and in front of the saloon. The players can also start a round as the wisp is going towards the gallows, as the zombies will constantly spawn in front of the player and sustain the wisp. If doing this, it is recommended to either have a Pack-a Punched weapon, be done on a lower round, or both for easier control of the zombies.
At this point, the player will have to use the Time Bomb to travel back in time, and repeat the above process.
Step 7: For Whom the Bells Toll[edit | edit source]
The players are now able to ring the bells placed around the map by using the action button. There are three locations where the bells are, with each location having three bells each. These places are:
- The bottom floor of the courtroom.
- Left side of the judge's podium.
- Table on the right side of the courthouse closest to the podium.
- Corner of the courthouse, take a left as soon as the players enter.
- The second floor of the candy shop, not the room with the Power Switch.
- On the corner of the square table along the wall.
- On the table with two pots, near the couch blockade.
- On the chair to the right side of the door to the stairway.
- The top level of the barn.
- On the bale of hay just before the players drop down to the jail cell.
- To the right of the hole in the wall near the gunsmith building, on a bale of hay.
- On a bale of hay to the right of the gap in the railing.
In the room just past the secret bookcase in the haunted mansion, there is a switchboard on a sofa with a lever. The switchboard has a 3x3 pattern of lights, which when activated, will light up yellow or green. The columns from left to right correspond to the bells in the candy store, the barn, and the courtroom bells respectively. After figuring out which bell corresponds with which light, the team will have to activate the switchboard, and the first light will appear. One player has to callout which light has lit up, while the other three players must be in each location ready to ring the bell that is called out. If the player successfully rings a bell, the light will turn green and another light will turn yellow, signifying which location/bell to ring.
Note: For the person in the mansion, it is recommended to have the Galvaknuckles so the witch will die in one hit, as the player will most likely be in there awhile. The players also have to ring the bell within a certain timeframe, or else the switchboard will reset.
Step 8: Make-A-Wish[edit | edit source]
The players need to have Arthur break the fountain in front of the church/mansion, which will cause water to start spewing out. Next, the players need to interact with the fountain in order to "make a wish". After doing so, metal targets will spawn via lightning in several locations with each player needing to shoot them all before it disappears. These locations where the targets spawn are:
- Beside the candy store and in front of the court room.
- The left side of the ghost mansion, in the windows.
- On the railing inside the saloon.
- By the jail cell.
Maxis's side of Mined Games is complete and the player will receive all Perks for the rest of the game, but there is one more step to complete the story. [See Endgame]
Note: As with Richtofen's side, it is recommended to have Arthur care for a crawler so that it will not die and prematurely end the round.
Endgame[edit | edit source]
Requirements to end the game:
- All NAV Tables must be built with the correct NAV Cards inserted
- All Easter egg progress will be erased
- This can be done anytime, including the game where the players finish the Mined Games EE
At the back of the courthouse on the first floor is a box showing a 3x4 light grid. This box is 'The Easter egg Tracker'. This shows the Easter eggs that each player has completed as well as the side that they completed it for. The far left light represents the Tower of Babble Easter egg. The middle light represents the High Maintenance Easter egg. The far right light represents the Mined Games Easter egg. Orange light indicate Maxis whereas blue lights Indicate Richtofen. For example. If all lights show blue, then all players have completed each Easter egg for Richtofen. If all show orange then all players have completed the Easter eggs for Maxis. If two rows show a color then only two players have completed all Easter eggs for a character.
Richtofen's Ending[edit | edit source]
If all four players have completed all three Easter Eggs on Richtofen's side, have a player shoot the 'Easter Egg Tracker' and press the revealed button. The screen will shake and the players will hear a short confrontation between Richtofen and Maxis. After Richtofen declares his victory and Maxis ceases to exist, he will partially take over Samuel's body and remain inside Samuel's head. As a bonus, all players will have a permanent Fire Sale as well as a special variant of Mule Kick that allows the player to carry four weapons instead of three.
Maxis' Ending (Canon)[edit | edit source]
If all four players have completed all three on Maxis' side, have a player shoot the 'Easter Egg Tracker' and press the revealed button. The screen will shake and the entire map will fade orange, then there will be a short confrontation between Maxis and Richtofen. After Maxis overthrows Richtofen and takes control of the Aether, he will send Richtofen's soul into a random zombie and all the zombies' eyes will change to orange. The 'Richtofen Zombie' can be identified by its blue eyes. There is no physical reward but each time a 'Richtofen Zombie' is killed, it will drop a power-up.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The after effects are:
- Maxis' side: The pylon above the surface will spew orange flares. Orange dust will also form. On the world map, the "Buried" icon will flash with orange lightning.
- Richtofen's side: The pylon above the surface will spew blue flares. On the world map, the "Buried" icon will flash with blue lightning.
- If both Richthofen and Maxis’ side have been done among the players, then the pylon will spew both orange and blue flares. Though due to a bug, it will not flash lightning.
- The name "Mined Games" is a play on the word "mined" and the term "mind games".
- For Richtofen's side, it is possible to do steps 1-5 solo and have three others join later on.
- The seventh step of Maxis' side, "For Whom the Bells Toll", is a reference to Ernest Hemingway's famous novel For Whom the Bell Tolls.
- If a player remains close to a 'Richtofen Zombie' but doesn't kill it, the player can hear quotes from Richtofen, usually commenting on the state of the zombies.
- Activating the musical Easter egg "Always Running" during the Sharpshooter step, will cause the Sharpshooter music to play for the rest of the game.
References[edit | edit source]