Call of Duty: Black Ops
- "Tactical ground-based sensor that detects enemy movement within its radius."
- — Create-a-Class 2.0 description
The Motion Sensor is similar to the Portable Radar in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. It is a piece of equipment that finds enemies by a little circular ping. It is similar to the Heartbeat Sensor. Allies are not able to see the motion sensor on the mini-map. It can be hacked if a player has the pro version of the perk Hacker, and players with Hacker Pro will remain undetected by the motion sensor. Note that the Motion Sensor is not limited by any material or height. The motion sensor does not time out, it remains useful until destroyed, picked up, or when the player dies.
Being a portable Spy Plane means it works almost just like it; it has a short delay between 'pings', which could prove fatal to the owner if an enemy is fast enough to avoid it. Its use in Hardcore is limited as its findings can only be shown through the mini-map, which is disabled in hardcore. This can be mitigated by looking at the map on the pause menu.
Perhaps the Motion Sensor's biggest selling point is that it can detect Ghost and Ninja users on the mini-map, and the Pro versions of both perks do not grant immunity to the Motion Sensor either. It is a perfect tool for detecting a sneaky, mobile opponent, as well as most opponents for that matter. Hacker Pro is the only way to be immune to the Motion Sensor, and it isn't a super common sight, as several players will either be using a different green perk, or not have the Pro version of Hacker. As such, the Motion Sensor can often be relied upon and perform its job unimpeded. Players using a full stealth loadout will likely pick Ninja over Hacker, and that will lead to said players being detected. That said, any Hacker user will prove to be super problematic for one using the Motion sensor, as said players will likely destroy or hack the Motion Sensor. Hacker Pro users will be particularly problematic due to the immunity to the Motion Sensor.
Call of Duty: Ghosts
- "Paints the targets with tracers that allow enemies to be tracked through objects."
- — In-game description
The Motion Sensor appears in Call of Duty: Ghosts. Instead of showing a ping to its similar predecessor the Portable Radar, it will paint the enemy with an orange glow. The top of the Motion Sensor launches up as an enemy approaches it similar to a Bouncing Betty, and it also briefly induces the victim with a flashbang effect. This paints enemies in a similar way to the Oracle and Recon. Users are able to see the painted enemies through walls. This effect goes away after 15 seconds. The Motion Sensor is ineffective against users that use the perk Incog.
- Contrary to its name, an enemy will still be shown on the radar in Call of Duty: Black Ops and be painted with an orange glow in Call of Duty: Ghosts, even if not moving.
Call of Duty: Black Ops
- The Motion Sensor has a small keypad visible.
- The Motion Sensor makes a slight swishing sound when nearby.
- If a player hacks a Motion Sensor while already having one deployed the old one will be destroyed.
- The Motion Sensor is modeled directly off the TUGS (Tactical Unattended Ground Sensor) personell and vehicle sensor.