- "Wait.. I keep changing it, don't I? Which do you prefer: Universe? Multiverse? Omni-fucking verse ohh it doesn't really fucking matter, does it?"
- — Doctor Monty
- "It is time, Richtofen. The multiverse must come to an end. The paradox must be resolved. At least, it will be quick."
- — Nikolai Belinski
The Multiverse, also known as the Omniverse was a concept that was present throughout the Aether Story of Zombies. It is a collection of differing universes, dimensions, and timelines, each of them different in their own way. As of Tag der Toten, the multiverse was completely destroyed when the entirety of it was banished into the dimension of the Dark Aether.
- "The Summoning Key is one of the oldest artifacts in all creation. It was used by the first one to mix all the dimensions with life, giving each one its unique balance. Under certain circumstances, it has the ability to form bridges between dimensions allowing the transfer of life forces back and forth. It resides in the 63rd dimensions of creation."
- — Kronorium Excerpt 349561223
Initially in the Aether Story, there were only a few differing universes, most of them known as Dimensions. The specific number of universes is unknown, but it is known that there are at least 2210 of them. Initially, the multiverse was seeded with life by a Keeper known as the "First One" with the Summoning Key. However, thanks to the effect of Element 115 across the multiverse, other chaotic dimensions began to appear across the multiverse. Specifically, when Primis Edward Richtofen went back in time and killed his future Ultimis self, this caused multiple Fractures across time and space; each of them becoming their own dimensions.
According to Tag der Toten, the multiverse as a whole was a paradox, trapped in an endless cycle caused by Richtofen binding his soul, as well as the souls of "Tank" Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski and Takeo Masaki to a piece of Element 115, creating the Elemental Shard. The very fabric of reality itself had become bound to the Shard, and without the Shard (and thus these four) it would cease to exist causing reality to fall apart. This comes to fruition in the events of Black Ops 4, where Primis Nikolai leads Primis and Ultimis in a quest to destroy the multiverse in order to ensure the creation of a new universe, free from the corruption of Element 115.
List of Known Universes
- "This... is... it. The Aether, the infinite, the reality beyond. Beyond the world you know, beyond your perception"
- — Doctor Monty
- Main article: Agartha
Agartha is the first dimension to come into existence, and exists outside of the rest of the multiverse. It was created and inhabited by the ancient race known as the Keepers by utilizing the power of the Summoning Key and the Aether. It was once at peace, until a group of Keepers led by a being who would come to be known as the Shadowman discovered a realm known as the Dark Aether, leading to a war between these Keepers and the rest of their kind. After this, the Keepers became the protectors of all creation, with a Keeper known as Doctor Monty taking control over the realm. This dimension is mentioned throughout the Aether Story, but is seen physically in Kino der Toten, Origins and Revelations.
- "When we are gone, so too is everything that spewed forth from the Aether. Element 115, the Apothicons, even Monty himself. All of it will be banished to where it belongs. The Dark Aether."
- — Nikolai Belinski
- Main article: Dark Aether
The Dark Aether is a dimension of darkness, evil, and corruption that became the home of the Apothicons after their defeat during the War of Agartha. During Tag der Toten, the entire multiverse (save for one uncorrupted universe) is banished into it. It is first mentioned in Call of Duty: Black Ops III, and appears in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 as well as in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War in the Dark Aether Story.
- "Regretfully, I must inform you that neither the Earth nor its people will survive."
- — Ludvig Maxis
The Original Timeline refers to the Dimension that most of the Aether Story takes place in. It was (retroactively) introduced in Call of Duty: World at War, and has appeared in every title involving the Aether Story. In this universe, The Great War occurs but is quickly lost to time and forgotten. Group 935 is founded in the 1930's by Doctor Ludvig Maxis, with one of their scientists, Edward Richtofen, forming a crew known as "Ultimis" with his former test subjects in a bid to gain control over the Aether itself. He succeeds, swapping places in the MPD with Samantha Maxis but the Earth is incinerated by Maxis to halt Richtofen's control over the Aether. A crew known as Victis consisting of Samuel J. Stuhlinger, Abigail "Misty" Briarton, Marlton Johnson and Russman then travel across the post-apocalyptic Earth, assisting Maxis in gaining control of the Aether from Richtofen. Maxis then uses his power to destroy the Earth itself to open a gateway to Agartha, wishing to reunite with Samantha. This universe appears in the maps Nacht der Untoten, Verrückt, Shi no Numa, Der Riese, Kino der Toten, "Five", Ascension, Call of the Dead, Shangri-La, Moon, Nuketown Zombies, Green Run, Die Rise, Buried, Classified, and Alpha Omega.
- "Your service to the Overlords is appreciated. Our complete assimilation of this dimension will now proceed."
- — Shadowman
Dimension 63 is a Dimension introduced in Call of Duty: Black Ops II, appearing in every game involving the Aether Story since. In this universe, The Great War occurs and is remembered thanks to the journal of Pablo Marinus, which would be discovered by Group 935 (which itself would be founded some time before 1912). This Dimension differs mainly from the fact that technology advances further and quicker than it does in the Original Timeline, thanks to the full utilization of Element 115-empowered technology during World War I. It is destroyed by the Apothicons, who are accidentally allowed full entrance into the Dimension by Floyd Campbell, Jessica Rose, Nero Blackstone and Jack Vincent. This universe appears in Mob of the Dead, Origins, and Shadows of Evil.
- "For the benefit of the peanut gallery, I was just a boy then. And innocent. I was a sensitive child, a lonely child. Orphaned at a young age. I never got to know who I really was. But one day, I learned who I would grow up to be [...] I had to do it. The Kronorium told me. I... had to trick the poor little innocent me... into trusting a complete stranger."
- — Primis Richtofen tells the story of gathering Eddie's soul.
Dimension 2210 is first mentioned in the Zombies Chronicles Timeline image, as well as in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4. Not much is known about it, although it is known that in this universe (similarly to Dimension 63), Richtofen was an orphan. After the events of Shadows of Evil, Richtofen uses the Summoning Key to travel to this Dimension and collect the soul of it's native Richtofen - forcing Primis Richtofen to kill him. It is mentioned in the maps Alpha Omega and Tag der Toten.
A timeline known as the Empty Earth appears exclusively in the Call of Duty: Zombies comic. It is described by Richtofen as a "tangent timeline", which housed no human life prior to it's discovery by an unspecified version of Ludvig Maxis. After the establishment of Zero Base, Maxis used this Dimension to house various artifacts, specifically the Kronorium. Victis were sent here by Primis Richtofen to gather the Kronorium.
The Deceptio Fracture was one of many Fractures created by Primis Richtofen after going forward in time and killing his Ultimis self. In this universe, after Richtofen's death, Dr. Groph took control of Group 935. Primis also travel to Griffin Station, secure Dempsey's soul by killing Ultimis Dempsey, and launch rockets destroying the Moon. This Fracture appears in The Giant and Der Eisendrache.
- "This realm... may have been corrupted and consumed by evil. But we possess the power to change things. A better tomorrow is only possible... if we blow away the ashes of the past."
- — Takeo Masaki
The Proditone Fracture is another Fracture created by Ultimis Richtofen's death in The Giant. In this universe, a facility is created on Pohnpei by Division 9. Takeo Masaki is soon sent there and betrayed by the Emperor of Japan, becoming a Division 9 test subject. Primis travel to this Dimension after securing Dempsey's soul to kill this Fracture's Takeo, securing his soul. This universe also features an alternate, female version of Cornelius Pernell named Cornelia. This Fracture appears only in Zetsubou No Shima.
The Agonia Fracture is yet another Fracture created by Ultimis Richtofen's death in The Giant. In this universe, Group 935 utilizes Dragons created by Division 9 against the Soviet Union during the Battle of Stalingrad, as well as other 115-enhanced technology. The Soviets steal 935 tech, however, evening the odds by creating the Gigants, Russian Manglers, and Ray Gun Mark 3. The Battle of Stalingrad does not end, and World War II lasts indefinitely. Primis travel here to kill this Fracture's native Nikolai, securing his soul. This Fracture appears in Gorod Krovi, but an alternate version of "Five" also occurs in this Fracture where John F. Kennedy, Fidel Castro, Richard Nixon, and Robert McNamara are all killed during the zombie outbreak.
Alcatraz Pocket Dimension
- "By now I have deduced that you must be trapped in the "Alcatraz" pocket dimension. Do not be disappointed, the location of your secret lab remains a secret to most; just not me."
- — Ludvig Maxis
- Main article: Alcatraz Pocket Dimension
The Alcatraz Pocket Dimension is a hellish pocket dimension created by the Shadowman to ensnare the souls of the prisoners of Alcatraz, mainly mobsters Salvatore "Sal" DeLuca, Billy Handsome, Michael "Finn" O'Leary and Albert Arlington. It is maintained by the Warden of Alcatraz, who keep the four mobsters in a loop. It appears in Mob of the Dead, Blood of the Dead, and Tag der Toten.
Siberian Pocket Dimension
- "Day 521. I still don't know how it is possible, but late last year I awoke from a watery grave. When I swan to the surface, I found the German military base abandoned. Only the undead remained on their shores. I attempted to flee but that the fog it seemed no sooner that the shore faded behind it reappeared in front of me. Every attempt I made to escape it, it led me right back here; as if I was meant to be here. (sigh) I have begun broadcasting a radio signal. I'm hoping that someone will answer and come to my rescue, but if no one comes I'm not sure how much longer I would survive this place.""
- — Pablo Marinus
After his death, the spirit of Pablo Marinus was sent to a Siberian Pocket Dimension resembling the Group 935 facility where he was experimented on by Richtofen and Harvey Yena with the purpose of crafting the Agarthan Device, and sending himself to fight in The Great War. It is soon after visited by Victis, who, with the Apothicon Blood, Elemental Shard, and Vril Vessel craft the Agarthan Device and set about the collapse of the Multiverse itself. It only appears in Tag der Toten.
- ""Tank" Dempsey holds the all-time record for one-arm pushups. Even in the universe where everyone only had one!"
- — Doctor Monty
This universe is briefly mentioned by Doctor Monty in Revelations, in reference to Dempsey holding the all-time record for one-arm pushups, including the universe where all of it's inhabitants only have one arm.