- "Storm the Somali compound and pick up Makarov's trail."
- — Level description
- "This is for the boys at Hereford."
- — Captain Price before executing Waraabe.
"Return To Sender" is the tenth mission of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. The player controls Yuri as he, Soap, and Price search for Waraabe, a man involved in the distribution of the chemical that caused the chemical attacks on Europe. The mission takes place in Somalia.
- Yuri (playable)
- John "Soap" MacTavish
- John Price
- Nikolai (W.I.A.)
- Waraabe (K.I.A.)
- Volk (mentioned only)
- Vladimir Makarov (mentioned only)
- Echo One Leader
- MacMillan (cutscene only)
In the briefing cutscene, Price contacts Baseplate, who is now revealed to be MacMillan, trying to find intel on Makarov. MacMillan sighs, telling Price that they've "put a lot of names on the clock tower this week", and warns him that he's on "everyone's shit-list" and is reluctant to share intel unofficially with him. Price then angrily says to MacMillan that "he still owes him for Pripyat". MacMillan then tells Price that Waraabe, an African warlord in Somalia, should have intel on Makarov. Price discusses their plan to enter the compound with Soap, deciding that a stealthy approach is not an option and asks Soap to tell Nikolai to ready his men.
Yuri is in the backseat of a jeep heading to the enemy compound, with Price and Soap in the driver's and passenger's seats respectively. As soon as they ram through the gates, they come out of their vehicles and cut their way in through the heavy enemy resistance as they are bombarded by mortars and attacked by Technicals. Yuri is given control of Nikolai's chopper's remote turret to soften up the resistance.
After a lot of fighting through the compound, they head into Waraabe's office building and meet fierce resistance inside. After the militia are eliminated, they breach inside an office and kill everyone inside except Waraabe. The three intruders put on gas masks and the interrogation begins. Price releases the gas from the chemical attacks in Europe in the corner of the room and demands an already-frightened Waraabe to tell them Makarov's location in exchange for a gas mask to save his life.
Panicking, Waraabe hastily tells them that his contact was a man named Volk and that he never personally met Makarov. Soap steps on Waraabe's thigh, asking for Volk's location. In pain, Waraabe finally breaks and reveals that Volk can be found in Paris. Price gives Waraabe a gas mask, but seconds later he promptly executes him as he holds the gas mask. Before killing Waraabe, Price exclaimed "This is for the boys at Hereford", referring to the SAS members who were killed in the event of the chemical attacks.
The remaining members of Nikolai's men leave the building and head to their primary exfil point, but Nikolai radios them and alerts them of a rapidly approaching sandstorm. They regroup with the other members and hurry on to the exfil point, but before they can board the chopper, they are ambushed by the militia and are forced to cut their way through to the second LZ. Again, the second exfil is on the roof of a building full of militia, but the 141 and Nikolai's men deal with them. The LZ still being too hot, Yuri uses the remote turret to neutralize any hostile militia. Unfortunately, a rocket shoots down Nikolai's helicopter, sending it hurtling out of control towards Price's group. The trio rappels down the building to avoid getting hit by the out of control helicopter.
Price tells Echo Team to find Nikolai, and to execute an emergency exfil. They make their way through the heavy sandstorm, dealing with Waraabe's men along the way. The group makes it to the crash site, and Yuri carries an injured Nikolai with the others to the emergency exfil, where they finally get out of the village. Soap then asks how they plan to capture Volk while the war rages in Europe. Price replies that while they can't, he knows someone who can.
|Found in level|
23. Just past the docks area, in the blue and white "L" shaped building up the stairs. The intel is sitting on a desk.
24. The intel is sitting on a table in the west side of Waraabe's office.
25. The third intel is in a small, "guard post"-like building next to a burning car.
- Main article: Return To Sender/Transcript
- Sandstorm! (10 / Bronze Trophy ) - Complete "Return to Sender" on any difficulty.
- Payback (25 / Silver Trophy ) - Complete "Mind the Gap", "Goalpost" and "Return to Sender" on Veteran difficulty.
- Kill Box (20 / Bronze Trophy ) - Kill 20 enemies with the Chopper Gunner in a single run in "Return to Sender".
- The mission name, "Return to Sender", is a phrase used when mail cannot arrive to its destination, and needs to be sent back to the sending address.
- After rescuing Nikolai from the helicopter wreckage and escaping by a jeep, the Spetsnaz Victory theme from the multiplayer is heard at the end of the level.
- Also, the GIGN spawn theme can be heard during the search for Waraabe and when entering his compound.
- The player can shoot themselves when gaining control of Nikolai's chopper's remote turret.
- The crates Waraabe falls back on are marked with the Shadow Company insignia.
- Near the end of the level, before making it to the roof of the LZ building, one of the soldiers that is crushed by the falling wall will have an AK-47 with every attachment, but it is unobtainable.
- When the snipers and RPGs attack Nikolai, a dead soldier will drop a weapon with every attachment, but it is unobtainable.
- At the docks, the player can see a ship marked "Fregata Industries".
- After the sandstorm hits, Soap will have an M4A1 with all attachments.
- After Nikolai's helicopter is shot down, Echo Team reports his position as half a click south of Price, Yuri, and Soap's position, but the compass in the corner of the screen will display that they are heading north.
- In the Redemption trailer Soap is wearing a uniform similar to the "Blood Brothers" one but with a mask.
- When Price said that McMillan owed him for Pripyat, the clip shown is the start of the mission: All Ghillied Up.