- "Take to the streets of Morg City to combat the undead. Embrace the curse to uncover its mysteries."
- — Mission Briefing
Shadows of Evil is the eighteenth (chronologically the third) Zombies map. It is the first Zombies map in Call of Duty: Black Ops III and was released along with the game on November 6, 2015, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.
The setting takes place in the 1940's fictional Morg City where it introduces four new characters, Nero Blackstone, Jessica Rose, Jack Vincent and Floyd Campbell as they are transported to a nightmarish realm by the Shadowman, a supernatural being, and the leader of the Apothicans.
The map adds in a new variant of the Zombie Shield: the Rocket Shield which allows you to blast zombies into the air, a new Perk-a-Cola called Widow's Wine and GobbleGum, which allows players to gain special one-time abilities from bubblegum machines across the map. It also features three entirely new enemies, the Margwas, the Parasites, and the Insanity Elementals, while bringing back many traditional zombies features, including the Pack-a-Punch Machine.
Harvest Pod DropsEdit
|Harvest Pod Drops|
Juggernog, Double Tap Root Beer II, and Speed Cola spawn randomly each time a match begins. In the Junction, in front of the doors that lead to the Waterfront, Footlight and Canal District lies a broken perk bottle that is either red, green or yellow. These bottles indicate in which district the perks have spawned. Red indicates Juggernog, green indicates Speed Cola and yellow indicates Double Tap. In order to power up the perk machines, one must go into Beast mode and electrocute the panels next to each perk machine, similar to going into Afterlife mode in Mob of the Dead to charge Voltmeters. There is also Quick Revive, Stamin-Up, Widow's Wine and Mule Kick.
The Pack-a-Punch Machine allows weapons to be upgraded into better versions of themselves. The machine typically changes the weapon's name and adds one or more attachments, often including FMJ and Extended Mags in appearance. It also increases the pitch of the firing sound and changes the color of the muzzle flash to red or purple. The weapon also notably gains a bizarre camouflage to accent the changes done to it. There is a new feature that affects Pack-a-Punched weapons, where a player can upgrade the weapon again after the weapon's first upgrade (for 2500 without ammo being refilled) to gain a perk on the weapon which gives bullets a chance to have a special effect. The perks are as follows:
- Thunder Wall: Random bullets have a Thunder Gun like effect, blasting back zombies.
- Blast Furnace: Zombies affected by this perk explode when hit; the perk can chain to other zombies.
- Fireworks: Zombies killed have a chance to briefly spawn a cluster of fireworks which kill nearby zombies.
- Turned: Zombies affected by this perk become "friendly" and will run around attacking other zombies, killing them in one hit.
- Dead Wire: Random bullets shock zombies, chaining electricity to nearby zombies similarly to the Wunderwaffe DG-2.
The machine in this map appears as a light blue portal (similar to the color of the machine's paint in previous maps) with a tentacle that comes out upon placing a weapon in the "machine". It is activated for use by placing four Gateworms on podiums in the Rift area. It takes a noticeably longer amount of time to Pack-a-Punch on this map than any other map.
Story Easter EggEdit
- Main article: Apocalypse Averted
The story based Easter Egg for Shadows of Evil is Apocalypse Averted, involving four sinners attempting to resolve their crimes with the aid of a mysterious man clad in shadows. However in doing so, unleashing an interdenominational evil that seeks to end their world.
Weaponry and EquipmentEdit
- The Li'l Arnie tactical equipment has an Easter Egg referencing One Froggy Evening to upgrade its power.
- Every player can get a free mega GobbleGum. To do so, one needs four Widow's Wine grenades. The grenades should be thrown in the mouth of the four lions appearing in the Canal District. After doing that, every lion will show a little gray sphere (one for each player); after taking them with the use button, these spheres should be put on a plate located in a shop of the first room by holding the use button. After two rounds, the GobbleGums can be eaten by holding the use button on the plate.
- A new song, Snakeskin Boots, can be activated by holding the use button while aiming at three little wooden radios scattered around the map. Locations are:
- In the boxing gym at Waterfront, sitting on a desk on the upper level.
- At the entrance of Ruby Rabbit (Canals District), to the left sitting on a table.
- At the train station of the Footlight District, on a bench.
- An instrumental version of Snakeskin Boots can be activated by holding the use button while aiming at any of the radios twice, followed by single interactions with the other two radios.
- Another song, Cold Hard Cash, can be activated by collecting three parts of a microphone scattered around the map and interacting with the Show Stage of the Black Lace Burlesque (Footlight District). Locations are:
- Wire: Under the stairs that lead from the Ruby Rabbit into the Canals, opposite the power box that is behind the "only accessed with beast mode" wall.
- Microphone Stand: At Nero's lair, at the left of a bloody knife throwing target.
- Microphone: At the Rift area/Subway Station next to a trash can, near a portal that leads to Waterfront District.
When zooming in with a sniper rifle at some buildings from the docks where the boxing gym is, a picture of Richtofen as a zombie suddenly appears on the player's screen accompanied with a high-pitched scream, similarly to the jump scare from Mob of the Dead and Origins. This can only be done after completing the rituals.
- The map can be turned into black and white by shooting a picture frame behind the boxing ring and interacting with it.
- There is a secret room under the Pack-a-Punch machine that can be accessed while in The Beast. However, there is nothing in this room.
- A reference to Salvatore "Sal" DeLuca is on this map. Next to the door separating the Junction from the spawn area, there should be an open window, and inside should be a black suit with a tag on it. To do this, one must throw a grenade at the suit, but it has to hit the suit at the same time as it explodes. It is easier to do this with Widow's Wine grenades. After this is done, the tag will show up on top of a box right in front of the window. It has Sal's signature on it, and the player can hold the action button on it to gain 500 points.
- At the end of the dock in the Waterfront district, there is a light post with a green light. This is a reference to the book "The Great Gatsby", where the titular character constantly stares at a green light at the end of a dock on the opposite side of the bay.
- At the start, the players can instantly skip to round 5, 10, then 15 and gain 1000, 4000, and 11000 points respectively. To do so, all players must shoot the Shadowman, who can be seen in the staircase that leads to Nero Blackstones ritual room by the starting area.
Ciphers and Scrap paperEdit
- Main article: Shadows of Evil/Ciphers and Scrap Paper
Ciphers can be found as well as scraps of paper scattered around the map. Similar to Mob of the Dead and Origins, when the paper is formed it shows various drawings and notes from Edward Richtofen and four coordinates leading to four locations which are visited in future Zombies maps: Lower Silesia, Hohenwerfen Castle, Pohnpei Island, and Volgograd.
|The Beginning of the End||In Shadows of Evil, complete all rituals.||60||Silver|
|From the Shadows||In Shadows of Evil, spot the Shadowman five times in one game.||25||Bronze|
|Not out of Gobblegum!||In Shadows of Evil, purchase and chew every type of GobbleGum in your Pack.||25||Bronze|
|Sorry, we're DEAD||In Shadows of Evil, kill 10 zombies that are inside of a store in one game.||25||Bronze|
|Strike!||In Shadows of Evil, use the rocket shield attack to kill at least 10 zombies in one burst.||25||Bronze|
|Beat CoP||In Shadows of Evil, summon the Civil Protector in every district in a single game.||25||Bronze|
|The Spider and the Fly||In Shadows of Evil, kill 10 zombies ensnared by a Widow's Wine grenade.||25||Bronze|
|Margwa Party||In Shadows of Evil, kill 2 Margwas in a single round.||25||Bronze|
|Parasite-Seeing||In Shadows of Evil, kill 5 Parasites while riding on the train.||25||Bronze|
|No Mercy (Last-Gen)||In Shadows of Evil, kill 5 crawling zombies in under 3 seconds.||35||Silver|
|Crackshot (Last-Gen)||In Shadows of Evil, kill a zombie from over 50m away.||35||Silver|
|In Shadows of Evil, complete the Pack-A-Punch ritual during wave 1.||90||Gold|
Achievements/trophies differ between current/PC and last generation consoles.
Opening Scene TranscriptEdit
A view of a rainy night in Morg City is seen, as the sound of an old camera being interacted with accompanied with noises and then someone dialing a phone is heard, followed by the sound of a phone being picked up. Jessica Rose is then heard talking to a person, whose voice is inaudible.
Jessica (on phone): Hey, you... I know I yelled at you real bad... I know I said some things I shouldn't have said...
The view changes to a bedroom, where a man is sitting on the bed. Jessica then steps into the room, and approaches the man.
Jessica (on phone): I was just angry... Upset... You know how close I am to this movie deal...
Jessica then pushes the man down, and climbs on top of him. Before the man could touch her, she grabs a handcuff on the side of the bed, and cuffs the man's left hand to the bed.
Jessica (on phone): I mean, they know about my dancing, but... Those pictures... You don't wanna mess up my chance at stardom, do you baby?
Jessica then reaches for the scissors on the table nearby.
Jessica (on phone): What do you say... You bring over those prints and we can...
Jessica raises the scissors into the air, and stabs the man. Some of his blood splatters over her face.
Jessica (on phone):... Make up?
The scene blackens, and the sound of a phone being dialed is heard again. The view then switches to Jack Vincent, who is lighting his cigarette with a match. Vincent is then heard on the phone conversating with someone, whose voice is also inaudible.
Vincent (on phone): Hey. We got a problem. A big problem.
Vincent then drops the match onto the road. A newspaper clip is seen, with the headline "Mayor Cracks Down on Police Corruption".
Vincent (on phone): The mayor's trying to make a name for himself, sticking his nose where it don't belong.
Vincent is seen meeting up with a man outside the "Ruby Rabbit" club.
Vincent (on phone): He's looking into... Allegations of police bribery.
The man makes a gesture, asking Vincent for bribery. He then pulls out a wad of money, but before the man could take it, Vincent signals him to go to another place.
Vincent (on phone): What do you say we get together at the usual joint... Put things through... Figure out a way to put this to bed before it gets out of hand?
Vincent and the man walk inside an alley. He then pulls out his Bloodhound revolver and knocks the man in the back of his head.
Vincent (on phone): Trust me... Have I ever steered you wrong before?
Vincent then aims at the man on the ground and fires two shots. The scene blackens, and the sound of another phone ringing is heard. The scene changes to a locker room, where Floyd Campbell is getting ready for his fight against Tony King. Campbell is then heard talking with someone on the phone.
Campbell (on phone): I ain't fought in eighteen months... I'm stepping in at the last minute. I've only got 2 weeks to train. But the outcome ain't in any doubt.
Campbell looks at his fist, which is wearing a brass knuckle.
Campbell (on phone): You see... I ain't leaving nothing to chance. He may be the number one contender, but his career ends tonight.
As the sound of a bell rings, the scene switches to a boxing ring, where Campbell is fighting against King.
Campbell (on phone): You just make sure the ref knows to look the other way... 'cause this ain't gonna be pretty. And once he's done... Once you've collected your debts, and your bets...
Campbell knocks King out with an uppercut. King falls down to the floor, and his mouth piece falls out. The referee stops the match, and declares Campbell the victor.
Campbell (on phone):... I get my shot at the title.
The scene blackens, and the sound of another phone being dialed is heard again. The view then shows a table, with a magazine "Magician's Weekly" on top, with Nero Blackstone on the cover, and the headline "Nero's Career Is Up In Smoke! Worst Magician of the Year!". Nero is then heard on the phone talking to his lawyer, whose voice is inaudible.
Nero (on phone): I do understand the seriousness of the situation. Why else would I be talking to my lawyer?
Several playing cards are then dropped on the table, then picked up by Nero. Nero then practices his card trick, only to fail again.
Nero (on phone): But, just to be clear... Can you please... Tell me precisely how much, uh, debt my wife has accumulated?
Nero then slams the cards on the table, and picks up his glass of wine with ice in it. On the table, there are several overdue bills, along with a picture of Nero's wife, with the frame fractured. He takes a sip of his drink, then throws the glass at a picture of himself on the wall in anger.
Nero (on phone): Do you happen to know if... Our life insurance policies are-are, fully paid up?
The scene changes, and Nero is seen locking his wife on a spinning table. He then takes a few steps back, then faces his wife, with a knife in his hand. He narrows his eyes at his wife.
Nero (on phone): No, nonono... I-I can assure you, I-I would never, EVER think of taking such a course of action. No I just wanna make sure our affairs are, uh...
Nero then swings the knife at the table, and moments before it strikes his wife's shocked face, the screen blackens.
Nero (on phone):... In order.
The scene then changes to the Black Lace burlesque club, where Jessica is performing on stage, while Vincent, Campbell and Nero sit and watch. The Shadowman then narrates.
Shadowman: I have been watching. I have seen each and every one of your misdeeds. I know who you are.
Vincent suddenly falls asleep, followed by Campbell. Jessica also falls to her feet, followed by Nero, who passes out after finishing a drink and lets go of his glass.
Shadowman: But, questions remain. Why do you do the things you do?
The scene then flashes quickly, showing a zombie being attacked by tentacles with blood flying everywhere, then shows the four characters waking up in separate areas. Jessica awakes inside the now vacant Black Lace stage with blood splattered on the floor, while the other 3 are all located in different streets of Morg City, Floyd near a building named "The Anvil", Vincent near the "Ruby Rabbit" lounge and a bar named "Lighthouse Bar", and Nero in an ally near a News building and the bar.
Shadowman: Do you not see the futility of your tiny, insignificant existence?
As each of the characters wake up, a distinct marking is seen on all of their left hands.
Shadowman: You are but fragments of a bigger universe. Your sins serve only as an invitation...
Zombies suddenly appear before Nero and begin to chase him down. Elsewhere, Vincent also runs away from the zombies, while firing his revolver at them.
Shadowman:... An invitation to an evil beyond your imagination.
Campbell punches two zombies in his path while trying to escape, while Jessica runs through alleys, completely defenseless.
Shadowman: I'll lead the way. I will show you the path. Only through me, the Shadowman, will you find your redemption.
Only moments after running, the four characters are reunited in an alley. They stand together, ready to face the zombie horde.
Ending Scene TranscriptEdit
A beam of energy fires upward from the center of the Junction, destroying the giant Apothicon beast covering the skies of Morg City as it lets out one final scream.
A Keeper dressed in black clothing descends before the four characters, with the Summoning Key in his hand. The characters slowly approach the Keeper, but suddenly Edward Richtofen grabs the key. The characters turn to him.
Richtofen: I'm so sorry, I really don't have time to explain. I have a universe to set right. Thank you, und goodbye.
- Main article: Shadows of Evil/Telephone Messages
- Main article: Shadows of Evil/Quotes
Concept Arts Edit
Artworks by Gadget-Bot
- There is a cinema on the map. One of the shows is set to appear on November 6th, the same date Black Ops III was released.
- The map appears to take heavy influence from the Cthulhu Mythos, including Eldritch beings that were notable for a demonic, squid-like appearance riddled with tentacles, which the Apothicons are based on. This is most obvious with the name of the Wonder Weapon, which follows the same naming pattern as H.P Lovecraft's creations, and of the Cthulhu statues one might uncover.
- The Cthulhu Mythos also starred zombies and re-animated corpses, alongside insectoid flying creatures, spectres and weaker, more human-like tentacle monsters, which fit in with the new types of enemies introduced.
- The Death Machine power-up can not be dropped by conventional means in Co-op mode.
- Based on one of Richtofen's quotes when with Nikolai in The Giant, the artifact he was talking about is the Summoning Key that is trapping the Shadow Man.
- The plane from Mob of the Dead, Icarus, can be seen flying during the major easter egg, The Beginning of the End.
- The map of Alcatraz from Mob of the Dead can be seen on a wall in the Subway.
- A map of the excavation site in Origins can be seen on a table next to the rift door in the Waterfront District.
- If one is to shoot the Shadowman in the beginning of the match, they'll be able to skip to round 5 all the way up to 15. This can only be done on solo, private or local matches. It will also grant the player a few thousand points for each 5 rounds skipped.
- The interlude of Cold Hard Cash plays on the beginning of the match and after completing a Parasite or Insanity Elemental round.
- If the player goes prone in front of a Perk-a-Cola machine, they will be given 100 points for free.
- This is the case for every other Black Ops III map as well.
- The Ruby Rabbit Lounge is a reference to the club where Jessica Rabbit danced in the movie "Who framed Roger Rabbit".
- It is the only map in Call of Duty: Black Ops III with it's own unique HUD, with the rest sharing the HUD introduced in The Giant.
- Oddly, the "Max Ammo" icon that appears whenever a player receives a Max Ammo was changed later on in Black Ops III's life-cycle from a unique icon to the one featured in The Giant. The reason for this change is unknown.
- "Apocalypse Averted" is an ironic name for the map's main achievement, as the Apothicans destroy Dimension 63 the day after the events of this map take place.