- "After witnessing Richtofen execute his future self, Dempsey, Nikolai and Takeo had no choice but to fight alongside the Doctor against the shambling army of the undead once again. Though they survived to see another day, none of them were prepared for what came next."
- — Description
The Giant is the second Zombies map in Call of Duty: Black Ops III. It is a remake of the map Der Riese (which is German for "The Giant"), which was previously featured in Call of Duty: World at War and Call of Duty: Black Ops, and is the nineteenth (chronologically the second in the altered timeline) Zombies map overall. The map was announced as part of Black Ops III's special Collector Edition, and is accessible to Season Pass owners along with being available as an individual purchase independent of the Season Pass. The map features the return of the original characters as they appeared in the map Origins, and continues the story from where it left off.
Initially, The Giant was only available on next-gen consoles and PC. It later had an individual release for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC versions on May 22nd, 2016. The PlayStation 3 release was on June 2nd, 2016 while the Xbox 360 version of the map was released on July 5th, 2016.
- 1 Rooms
- 2 Features
- 3 Easter Eggs
- 4 Opening Scene Transcript
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Radio Messages
- 7 Ciphers and Scrap Paper
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Videos
- 10 Trivia
- 11 References
The Giant has several rooms within it. The starting room is just outside the factory itself. There are two doors that leave the starting room and lead to the right or left factory rooms. Taking the left door leads to the Animal Test lab, and the right door leads to the Automobile Garage. This version of the map is covered in snow and falling snow is visible throughout the outside parts of the map.
- Sheiva - 500 points, located right of the Pack-a-Punch Machine, assuming the player is facing it.
- RK5 - 500 points, located on the right of the random power-up spawn, assuming the player is facing the giant clock.
- Pack-a-Punch Machine - 5000 points per use, 2500 to acquire the upgrades. Locked until all three Teleporters are linked.
Animal Testing Laboratory
The Animal Testing Lab is located to the left of spawn. There are two doors both costing 750 points to reach this room from spawn. This room is fairly compact in comparison to other main rooms.
- Kuda - 1250 points, towards the middle of the room on the left side, assuming the player is facing the back of room.
- L-CAR 9 - 750 points, to the right after the player goes through the first door next to a Gobblegum machine.
- Gobblegum Machine - Located towards the back of the Animal Lab.
- Mystery Box Location - Located on the opposite side the Kuda is on
Teleporter A is located behind Animal Testing and a door costing 1250 points to open. The main rooms has a generator in the center with two furnaces.
- M8A7 - 1500 points, left of Teleporter assuming the player is facing it.
- Mystery Box Location -Located right in front of Teleporter A
The Automobile Garage is located to the right of the spawning room. The room features a furnace towards the back where the Annihilator pistol can be collected upon completion of the Fly Trap main quest.
- KRM-262 - 750 points, left of a barricade as the player enters the room
- VMP - 1300 points, located towards middle-rear of room in front of the furnace.
- Mystery Box Location - Spawning location in back, right-hand corner of room.
- Perk-a-Cola Machine - Random perk machine in the same corner as the box location above.
- Gobblegum Machine - Left side before entering the Automobile Garage in a corner.
Taking the stairs in Automobile Garage leads to another smaller room with the main room containing Teleporter B. The main room has two vats a boiling liquid with the teleporter sitting in the back. There is also a small side room on the right and a small balcony on the left.
The Courtyard is located in towards the center of the map both the Animal Testing Lab and Auto Garage lead to this room if the player chooses to fall down next to the bridge. The power switch is located here and must be activated to turn on power.
- Vesper - 1250 points, located in the outdoor hallway next to the right entrance, assuming the player is facing the clock
- Power Switch - Located towards the back on the power generator.
- Mystery Box Location - Spawning location near power switch but on opposite side of the generator.
Teleporter C is behind the Courtyard and a door costing 1250 points to open. The teleporter itself is at the back. There is a small outdoor area that has a smaller room to the right shortly after the door. The main room has a narrow hallway on the right side too. There is also a stairway that leads up to a catwalk.
- KN-44 - 1400 points, located in a corner to the left of the teleporter
- Bowie Knife - 3000 points, located outside main room to the left of the entrance.
- Gobblegum Machine - Located to the far left outside the room for teleporter C in a corner.
- Perk-a-Cola Machine - Randomized perk located to the right in the smaller room.
- Mystery Box Location - Location at the top and very end of the catwak
The bridge consists of the bridge itself and the two smaller rooms it connects to. The bridge can only come down when power is turned on. The bridge allows the player to go from the Auto Garage to the Animal Testing Lab and vise versa without having to cross spawn.
- Trip Mine - 1000 points, Animal Lab side in a side hallway
- Perk-a-Cola Machine - Random perk located in small caged area past the Trip Mines chalk drawing.
- Main article: Paradoxical Prologue
Rather than having a primary Easter Egg for the map, The Giant has a revised version of the Fly Trap Easter Egg that was present within the original Der Riese map. This revised version is called Paradoxical Prologue in which the crew lights a beacon. This version features the voice of Ludvig Maxis rather than Samantha Maxis and is completed upon picking up the Annihilator that spawns in a furnace, awarding 1,000 XP and a Gateworm icon on the map icon for The Giant.
Musical Easter Eggs
- A remix of Beauty of Annihilation can be activated in the same way as the original version of the song: hold the use button on three green, glowing jars that have spines in them. Two of the jars are in the animal testing lab, and the third one is near Teleporter B, in a side room.
- It is possible to unlock a sixth "secret" perk machine: Requiring the Monkey bombs from the Mystery Box and all Teleporters linked to the Mainframe, a Monkey bomb shall be thrown on a teleporter platform, then be teleported with a player. After returning back to the mainframe, one of three lights on a panel by the mainframe will change its color from red to green. Once this is done with all three teleporters, the panel becomes active. Interacting with the red glowy button on the panel will cause the Giant Robot's head outside the map to fire its eye beam, bouncing off the metal welcome sign melting a snow pile, revealing either a Stamin-up or Deadshot Daiquiri Perk-a-Cola machine.
Opening Scene Transcript
Maxis: Edward, what are you doing!? Open the door! Edward! Open this door now!
Views of gears within a machine are seen, while Maxis tries to comfort his daughter.
Maxis: Stay by me, Samantha!
Ultimis Richtofen: Goodbye, Dr. Maxis.
The clock outside the facility slowly strikes 1:15 while a distortion is seen around, then the clock freezes. The area begins to snow. The view changes to a close-up of Ultimis Edward Richtofen, as he laughs maniacally.
Suddenly, a sound of a gun being cocked is heard from behind him. He turns back and sees the Primis "Tank" Dempsey.
Dempsey: This ain't funny, Doc.
Nikolai: Turn around.
Ultimis Richtofen slowly turns toward the three of them.
Ultimis Richtofen: Do you know... who I am!?
Dempsey: Yeah, we know. That's why you'd better do exactly what we say.
Nikolai: A great evil approaches. There is a chain of events that must be set in motion.
The sound of zombies screeching outside catches the three's attention. Dempsey and Nikolai turn around, ready to face the horde.
Takeo: (to Richtofen) The future hangs by a thread. You must awaken the test subjects.
Nikolai stands guard near a barrier, while Dempsey readies his dual pistols. Takeo slowly draws his katana, still staring at Richtofen. The camera switches to views of the teleporter behind Richtofen, then quickly turns black.
Zombies begin to break through the barrier, but are stopped by Nikolai, Dempsey and Takeo. Richtofen then begins to activate the teleporter.
Dempsey: Richtofen! Whatever you're thinking of doing, don't do it!
Nikolai: You do not want to meet what's on the other side of that door!
Takeo: You cannot begin to comprehend the great evil you could unleash!!
Ultimis Richtofen ignores the three's warning, and pushes the button immediately. The teleporter slowly opens, revealing a bright white light inside. He slowly steps forward the teleporter, his face showing excitement.
A figure then steps out of the teleporter, and is revealed to be Primis Richtofen, which stares at Ultimis Richtofen angrily. Ultimis Richtofen takes off his hat and holds it close to his chest. Primis Richtofen quickly pulls out an MR6 and shoots the Ultimis Richtofen in the head, killing him instantly.
Dempsey: Dammit Richtofen, I thought we were done with this!
Richtofen checks on his other self's corpse. This moment cannot be fully seen. It was first assumed Primis Richtofen uses the moment to capture his soul with the Summoning Key, however that turned to be false as Richtofen's soul was captured in Dimension 2210. Regardless, Dempsey is certain he observed Primis Richtofen messing with the corpse and holding something against it.
Richtofen: What can I say, Dempsey? Things change.
Nikolai: Only a fool would dare to change history!
Richtofen walks pass Nikolai, with Nikolai following Richtofen, before the four line up side by side as they ready their weapons.
Richtofen: I am no fool. What I do... I do only to secure a better tomorrow.
Dempsey: Yeah? Well, let's see if we live to see it.
As the zombie horde approaches the four heroes, they leap into the air and charge at the zombies. Takeo, leading in front, swings his katana at the screen, as it turns black.
- Main article: The Giant/Quotes
- Main article: The Giant/Radios
Ciphers and Scrap Paper
- Main article: The Giant/Ciphers and Scrap Paper
- On top of the building behind the power switch, Icarus from Mob of the Dead can be seen resting on top of it.
- When teleporting, the player may see images of Ultimis Richtofen, zombified and unzombified, moments after the teleport is activated in the intro cutscene for the map. The zombified image is the same image that appears in the jumpscare Easter Egg in Shadows of Evil.
- While the locations of the perk machines are the same as before, each perk is now assigned with a location randomly.
- The Mystery Box can now spawn at any box location.
- The Fly Trap Easter Egg has changed significantly.
- As players reach higher rounds, the characters' personalities begin to change, sometimes resembling their Ultimis part. Nikolai, Takeo, and Dempsey also start having memory problems, forgetting crucial information regarding their mission to restore order. Nikolai is afraid they are "succumbed to madness and delusion".
- As indicated by multiple quotes, that characters believe they have been to The Giant before.
- While downed when playing as Takeo, players can hear him say "From the shadows, I can almost hear him... whispering to me". This is a reference to the Shadowman.
- In one of the zombies spawns visible from the tunnel near Teleporter C, one can see containers full of gold bars. This is a nod to the Nazi gold train, in which according to the stories, the train is buried within the tunnels of the Riese Project on which the map is based on.
- If the player has already collected six perks when a perk bottle is collected again, Samantha will laugh.
- As with many modern maps, the teleporters are seen with the Iron Cross, rather than the Swastika symbol, as opposed to the original Der Riese.
- There was previously no snowfall on the Xbox One version of the map, but this was fixed in the February 8, 2016 update.
- Like with Der Riese, when a Monkey Bomb is thrown in the furnace, it will scream.
- As in all Black ops 3 maps, the player can get 100 free points by going prone in front of the Perk-a-Cola machines.
- As of the February 1st, 2016 update, the Death Machine can now be dropped by zombies or collected from the random power-up spot after teleporting.
- Also, when a player finishes a game of The Giant, the character they were playing as will have the beaten up appearance of when they were in Der Eisendrache.
- Behind the loading screen, there are blueprints for the Wave Gun, the same ones as the ones found in Combine.
- Following an update, the song Raining Teddy Bears plays in the loading screen.