- "Lured and baited by Perseus, Adler and his task force must stop the unleashing of the deadly VFX Nova 6 in a New Jersey mall."
- — Map Description
The Pines is set at the eponymous Mall at the Pines in New Jersey, which was set to have its grand opening two days after the events of the map's story. The mall would be taken over by Perseus soldiers lead by Vikhor "Stitch" Kuzmin, who use the site to remanufacture Nova 6. For vengeance against Russell Adler, Stitch lures Adler and his team to the mall, where they ambush them after they discover the vast supply of Nova 6 ready to be deployed.
- Among the arcade cabinets in the arcade are a couple of Der Eisendrache themed pinball machines, along with a comic book that depicts the opening sequence of the map.
- There is a poster advertising Dead Ops Arcade 3: Rise of the Mamaback on one of the entrances to the arcade.
- The vent connecting the arcade backroom and the fountain plaza will be grated off in Zombies Onslaught.
- Inside Frencer's Knick Knacks is a display selling two specific keychains, one of which is modeled after the Burger Town mascot Bubby, while the other is Leni "Zero" Vogel's alien pixel charm from Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
- While the design of the mall is full of references to Back to the Future, the location (and rough layout) are based on the Cherry Hill Mall, a nearly 60-year-old mall in New Jersey. The coordinates given for the location, 39°56'28.3"N 75°01'38.3"W, are the same as the real-life mall.
- There are soda machines labeled "Oomphf Soda" and "Bubble Orange Soda", both of which made an appearance on the Call of Duty: Black Ops III map Micro.
- Many of the albums inside the CD Station store are references to real life albums. Examples of albums referenced include: The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd The Wall and The Beatles Yellow Submarine.
- If one listens closely, Archangel can also be heard playing in the CD Station store.