- "Somehow, I don't think that wound's gonna heal easily..."
- — Abigail "Misty" Briarton
The Rift is a location in the Call of Duty: Black Ops II Zombies storyline. It is a large opening in the ground, presumably caused by the missiles fired from the Moon previously. It is first mentioned in Die Rise's opening cutscene, and is visible in Buried, and plays a large role in Mined Games.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
The Rift appears to be a giant crack/hole, stretching deep into the ground. The bottom appears to be a giant glowing portal of some sort, similar to the one in Mob of the Dead. Much of the surrounding area is obscured by fog.
Location[edit | edit source]
The Rift appears to be located near Livingstone Mine in southwestern Angola, in Africa. It is visible in Buried from the Processing, right as the player spawns (with each character commenting on it).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Its location and state is known by the Green Run Group despite the fact that they seemingly have never been to Africa.
- It is possible The Rift goes straight into the center of the Earth, and that the "portal" at the bottom is actually Earth's core. This is referenced by Maxis during Mined Games, in which he says "The process has begun! Now I can control the Aether's energy! I can, at last, reach Agartha!"
- Richtofen refers to the Rift as a gateway to the Aether, saying that manipulating the Aether is easiest in Buried, due to its close proximity to the map.