Treyarch was founded by Peter Akemann and Don Likeness in 1996 and acquired by Activision in 2001. The studio wasn't originally dedicated to the Call of Duty franchise when it developed with Gray Matter Interactive Studios Call of Duty 2: Big Red One released in 2005. Treyarch and Gray Matter then merged together and the studio released Call of Duty 3 the next year, in 2006. Both Big Red One and Call of Duty 3 used an in-house engine called Treyarch NGL based on the Id Tech 3 engine used in the first Call of Duty.
In 2008, Treyarch released Call of Duty: World at War using the IW engine from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It was the first Call of Duty game by Treyarch released on PC. After World at War, Treyarch was entirely dedicated to the Call of Duty franchise and became the second primary studio, alternating with Infinity Ward.
In 2010, Treyarch released Call of Duty: Black Ops set during the Cold War. The game was a success, earning $360 million on its launch day and $650 million within its first five days of release, surpassing records held by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. After a month and a half, Black Ops crossed $1 billion worldwide. Two years later, Treyarch released Call of Duty: Black Ops II in 2012. The game was very successful and broke several records held by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, grossing over $500 million on its launch day and became the fastest-grossing entertainement product to reach $1 billion in 15 days. Both records were later broken by Grand Theft Auto V in 2013.
In 2014, Dave Anthony, director of Black Ops and Black Ops II campaigns, left Treyarch. The same year, Jimmy Zielinski, Creative Director for the Zombies mode since Black Ops, left the company and was replaced by Jason Blundell.
Treyarch released Call of Duty: Black Ops III in 2015. The game grossed over $550 million within its first three days of release. Black Ops III became one of the best-selling games of the eighth generation of consoles. Treyarch also assited Infinity Ward during the developement of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare in 2016. The same year, Mark Lamia became Chairman of Treyarch and Dan Bunting, Jason Blundell and Mark Gordon became co-Studio Heads.
In 2018, Treyarch released Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 which featured the first Battle Royale mode of the series, outside of Call of Duty Online only available in China, Blackout. Black Ops 4 grossed over $500 million within its first three days of release.
Games developed for the Call of Duty seriesEdit
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Call of Duty games ported to different consolesEdit
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Ghosts
- Mark Lamia - Chairman
- Jason Blundell - Co-Studio Head
- Dan Bunting - Co-Studio Head
- David Vonderhaar - Studio Designer Director
- Brian Tuey - Audio Director and Composer
- Scott Eckert - Sound Designer/Audio Engineer
- Kevin Sherwood - Sound Designer and Composer
- Elena Siegman - Singer/additional voice
- Neil Masiclat - Lighting Artist
- Adam Alcini - Graphics Engineer
- Jimmy Zielinski - Creative/ Design Director, Zombies
- Reza Elghazi - Producer, Zombies
- Josh Olin - Community Manager
- Jason McCord - Designer
- Eric Pierce - Contracted TD
- Jeremy Luyties - Design Director
- Mike Denny - Designer
- Jeff Zaring - Designer
- Sean Slayback - Designer
- Zach Volker - Animator
- Gary Spinrad - Senior Sound Designer
- Jason Schoonover - Designer
- Much like Infinity Ward, Treyarch makes references to their company name many times throughout their games, often with the word "3ARC", or "III ARC".
- Treyarch's logo is available as an Emblem in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, unlocked by getting a Final Killcam with a Stealth Bomber.
- Treyarch employees often use the clan tag "3arc" in the multiplayer modes of Call of Duty.
- All the Combat Training multiplayer bots in Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Black Ops II use "3arc" as their clan tag. As well as them all having the names of Treyarch employees.
- If one tries to change their clan tag to "3arc" and they are not a Treyarch employee, it will not work.
- At the end credits of Infinite Warfare, Treyarch's credits appears.