The turbine is guaranteed to be able to build in the starting room of Green Run, with all three pieces spawning in the starting room. It can only be crafted at the workbench in the starting room. The turbine has a variety of uses, mainly being used to open doors that have the phrase "You'll need a source of power!" when approached by players. It can also be used as a distraction for zombies, who will attack the turbine and ignore the player in its presence. The turbine will be destroyed if the zombies are not killed or the turbine is overused. In Buried, the only known purpose for the Turbine is to power the Subsurface Resonator.
In Tranzit, this piece spawns up against the triangular map in the starting room, and in Buried it is in the back right corner, in the back room, on the main floor of the general store.
In Tranzit, the Fan spawns on a seat opposite the crafting bench, and in Buried, it is located in the back room, on the second floor, to the immediate right, on a desk.
The most obscure of the three pieces, in Tranzit, the Tail spawns to the right of the bookcase in the starting room, on the floor. It is behind the the Mannequin's spawn point, next to the M14. In Buried, it is located on the set of shelves on the far left, on the main floor of the general store, when entering through the front door.
- When building the Turbine, as the player picks up the last piece, Dr. Maxis will say, "That's it! Now, complete the device! Do it!".
- The Turbine can also be used to recharge the Bus Driver's and kick start the Bus after the use of an EMP Grenade or if the Avogadro disables him.
- When an EMP Grenade detonates in the vicinity of the Turbine, or the Avogadro shoots at it, the device is disabled temporarily.
- When the player holding is the Turbine, their melee speed duration is increased due to the fact that the player is not switching back to a weapon.
- The Turbine is not solid when holding it.
- The Turbine can be destroyed with a Semtex or a Grenade or if it is deployed over lava.
- The Turbine is needed to open the room where the Pack-a-Punch Machine is located.
- The Turbine is needed for the Tower of Babble Easter Egg and Maxis' side of the Mined Games Easter Egg.
- On the generator, it is possible to see written: "EXTENDED LIFE", "MAX" and "JNR".