- "Chernobyl in the open. Great for snipers and long range firefights."
- — In-game description
Wasteland is a large map in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
Wasteland is set in the wilderness near the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. It contains some elements from the Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare campaign level "All Ghillied Up", and features radioactive zones around the perimeter. A large, triple-entrance bunker sits in the middle. A large hedge sprawls over the center of the map. Many trenches criss-cross the map, complete with mini-guns. A few buildings, low walls, and a helipad are scattered around the edges but seldom see any notable combat. The map is actually a remake of the Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 multiplayer map Brecourt, which can easily be noticeable via the trench, the boundaries of the map and the farm area. However, with all of the new buildings and locations added, it makes the map virtually unrecognizable at first glance. There are also numerous Miniguns dotted around the outside of the map.
This map is more suited to ranged gameplay, such as players with sniper rifles. Ghillie Suits are popularly exploited as they blend extremely well with the grass around the map. The bunker in the entrance of the map is the only area suited to close-range combat, but is used more as a waystation than an actual combat location.
- Chernobyl nuclear reactor number 4 ,the reactor which caused the disaster, can be seen in the distance.
- If the player goes behind the reactor, they are able to see black and white pictures of the area around the real reactor.
- There is also a Russian Woodpecker seen in the background, most likely Duga-3 on the outskirts of Chernobyl.
- When the Tactical Nuke is activated, the explosion will originate at the nuclear reactor designated "4", a reference to the meltdown and explosion at the reactor.
- A teddy bear is in the tunnel with RPGs and a laptop.
- There are several dead cows located all over the map.
- English words and phrases can be seen on the helicopter at C flag spawn. It reads, "AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR, DEPT. OF FLORIDA, DEPT. OF MARYLAND, DEPT. OF NEW HAMPSHIRE."
- In the school building on the southwest side of the map there is a poster of a man who looks similar to Malcom X hanging from the ceiling.
- The tarp that covers the B flag in Domination will protect players from any overhead Predator Missiles.
- The hedge in the center of the map can be shot through with regular weapons. However, the mounted Miniguns cannot shoot through the hedge.