- "Smoke screen grenade that causes a small amount of damage on detonation."
- — Create-A-Class 2.0 description
Call of Duty: Black Ops
The Willy Pete is a Smoke Grenade which instantly emits a smokescreen for roughly 8–9 seconds; this smokescreen is considerably smaller than that of the Smoke Grenade. Willy Pete grenades barely cause any damage and are used strictly for screening.
In Multiplayer, the Willy Pete is a tactical grenade and is available as soon as Create-A-Class is unlocked at level 4. It causes a small amount of damage and temporarily stuns those near its detonation, but does not harm players as it is emitting smoke (although it has the capability to kill a player with low health on detonation). It is used to screen players' movements and to create distractions in order to get the enemies attention. It can even be used as a limited version of Concussion Grenade to slow down enemy targets. As with the other smoke grenades in previous games of the series, the Willy Pete is the only tactical grenade to not receive an extra grenade from certain perks such as Warlord Pro.
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty Online
The Willy Pete returns in Call of Duty Online, this time as a lethal grenade. Unlike in Black Ops, the Willy Pete will kill anyone within its blast radius. It also features a grenade danger indicator icon and can be thrown back.
- The smoke grenades in Project Nova bear resemblance to Willy Pete, albeit releasing orange smoke in much less quantity, and being used to indicate where the Mortars should fire.
- Like with Nova Gas, if Willy Pete is thrown into a puddle or other body of water, the gas will not appear.
- In Vorkuta, after using the Death Machine, the squad gets hit by a smokescreen. Although it has the effects of Nova gas and Mason calls it "tear gas," the explosion resembles that of a Willy Pete.
- Throwing Willy Petes into the turret fields on Berlin Wall will protect players from the Auto Turrets.
- An extremely damaged player can be killed by the initial Willy Pete explosion.